01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hard drive filling up slower than expected

fullboogie

Expert
Trusted Member
I've had three 5mp cams in operation for 21 days, one 5mp operating for 14 days, and one 8mp operating for 14 days. Continuous recording has always been set at 10 fps. The cams were all on medium recording resolution until about 2 weeks ago and then were set to "highest." I've got a single 4TB drive in the NVR which, as of this morning, still has 3.5TB of free space. Using the online calculators I was under the impression that this setup would give me about two weeks of recording capacity after which it would start rewriting from the beginning. Can't understand why I don't seem to be using HD space at the rate indicated on the calculators.

I did go into storage on the NVR and all the recordings are there for as long as each cam has been in operation, so I've not yet reached the overwrite stage. Mind you I'm not complaining, but curious as to why this is happening? Is 265+ really that good?

H265+ is indeed very good. I installed six 8MP cameras and a NVR with two 4TB disks a month and a half ago. I just checked and there is still 1.2TB remaining on the 1st disk (the second disk hasn't even been used yet). Pretty impressive indeed!

If your cameras don't have much movement or 'scene complexity' it's impressive how little space H265+ uses.
In live view, move the mouse cursor over this icon. On a still scene, the bitrate can be incredibly low.
1553981219647.png

All cams are static the vast majority of the time. Bitrates per your suggestion are as low as 8-10kps although they jump up periodically. If what I'm seeing is accurate I'm very impressed.

Update on this - with the 5 camera setup listed above, I'm at 46 days of usage and I just passed 1 TB of disc space used. At this rate I'm looking at nearly 180 days of record time on a single 4TB disc!

Last edited:
Back