01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

macman

Gives a lot of help
Trusted Member
Could you please explain to a newbie why he needs an NVR, assuming he has plenty of disk space elsewhere? To my idiot's eye, they must increase the live video lag by adding an extra layer of processing, and they make a noise. What camera or network functions do I lose by connecting directly to my LAN via a POE switch?

And if I'm advised that I can't manage without an NVR, does one exist which will give me a higher resolution live view over my LAN than 1920x1080? (My 5K PC monitor doesn't have an HDMI port so that's not an option.) NVR spec sheets don't tend to quote resolutions/fps over a LAN, presumably because LANs are variable. They do quote HDMI and VGA speeds - although they seem to no longer like quoting fps, presumably because that also depends on the third party hardware/graphics capabilities, although an "up to" resolution/fps spec would be useful.

If I buy an NVR, I would be hoping to find one which will give me (over a 1000Mbps LAN) full camera resolution up to 4MP/2560x1440 at 25fps for each live view main window - on a 27in Retina iMac screen with 4TB SSD internal drive and 40GB ram which can play full-screen 4K/60fps Youtube video smoothly in either H264 or H265. How can I tell from the NVR specs that it can do that? I hear the argument that this will be a security system and not a Hollywood movie studio but some of my cameras will be devoted to wildlife watching and both me and my old mum would like to view it as big and as naturalistically as possible.

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

a NVR is a compact recording solution unit including for configuration and live view or replay function. You can say "A allrounder" :)

If you record on your SSD or a HDD or on a NAS, you record there. The low FPS or Resolution over the nvr means only, when you crab the data from the NVR over the Network to your pc! On live view you dont have looses!

So its no problem to record the data to your ssd (must be 24/7 online) and can watch the video with the right player. (Iam using VLC with Shark007 Codec Pack. The computer needs some power too. Low hardware or old computers have some lag problems).

So no problem using a PoE Switch, and pin the recording data to your ssd (I hope its pro or enterprise ssd, because consumer ssds will die faster with much writings over time).

The difference between hdd or ssd is not big for recording, because the video datas came H265 or H265+ compressed. So a HDD is enough for camera recording this time.

And if you want higher megapixels or resolution, you need 8MP or 12MP cameras. But they still have lower fps then 4MP or 5MP.

Last edited:
Thanks chrizzo. You make a pretty good case for POE without NVR but what functionality, if any, is only available through an NVR that isn't accessible through iVMS-4200 and POE only?

My recordings will only be of PIR events and they will be limited by area masks so I'm not anticipating 24/7 heavy duty data collection.

You can use full functions over IVMS 4200 Mac Edition. Its no mandatory to use a NVR for this. So then its no problem for your SSD :)

Back