01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR & SADP do not support 4K displays effectively

CliveC

Hi Please could this be logged as a bug with Hikvision?

The issue is that when used with a PC running on a 4K resolution monitor windows by default will scale the fonts up to make them readable. Several parts of the Hikvision range do not correctly support this.

For example:-

Web display of an I series NVR - the playable timeline is in a font that is too small, and does not adhere to scaling correctly
SADP the font is not scaled acrorrectly throughout the application.

Last edited:
Hikvision PTZ cameras
Every week Clive and I will be like your kids in the back seat of the car - "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

Any update from Hikvision on this yet?

Hikvision support have told us that their R&D team are looking into the issue and should have an update next week, we have shared with them the screenshot of the 4K display issue in SADP but they would also like a screenshot of the browser interface on a 4K display, can you @CliveC or another user who has seen the same issue post a screenshot to this thread please.

Thanks @Dan good news they are lookign into it. I am actually away at the moment without access to a 4K display. Hopefully @fullboogie could post an example - It's when playing back an NVR recording (in my case on an I series NVR) via the web interface running on a 4K display - the timeline at the bottom where the motion alarms appears etc is tiny.

Really appreciate the update - thank you Dan

Here is an example of what happens when attempting to modify a user account. The "OK" and "Cancel" buttons are off the bottom of the screen so it's impossible to confirm any changes. I can only hit "X" and back out. No scroll bar on the side either.

screen.JPG

Thansk @fullboogie. Do you think you might be able to capture the playback screen showing the timeline at the bottom too please?

Clive, that screen is not affected on my system. For whatever reason, that one appears in full.

Interesting - does the timeline text at the bottom appear in tiny almost unreadable characters?

The following are suggestions or possible workarounds.
Depending on the browser you are using the Hikvision Webcomponents.exe plugin is going to play a role.
The latest versions of the plugin have made significant improvements leveraging HTML5.
IE11 for example is lacking in HTML 5 support, FF and Chrome only support the most recent plugin correctly. Try updating the plugin and use Chrome to view the NVR's webGUI.
NVR model and current firmware?

Also:
If you have any Windows font adjustments, in accessibility or display customization it will play a factor:
1575675686222.png

Or in Scale and Layout:
1575675881962.png

These settings often impact desktop apps ability to display fonts correctly.

A possible workaround for SADP - Locate the executable file, right click it and select the compatibility tab. I've never tried this as I don't own a 4K screen but I'm keen to hear your feedback.
1575676687073.png

Failing that, you could run the app in windowed mode. Edit the SADP shortcut and add '-w' at the end of the Target field which will force it to run in its native resolution (hopefully).
1575678677098.png

In most browsers, when pop-up boxes are too big for the screen, as in @fullboogies case, you can press and hold ctrl and use the minus key (-) key to zoom out, or hold ctrl and scroll down with the mouse wheel. This isn't a great workaround as if effects all web pages until you reset the zoom to default. Agreed, Hikvision needs to address this.

The playable timeline you refer too is rendered in a canvas element of HTML5. Not sure how you could set this to auto adjust unless you are willing to edit the code yourself. Keep us posted.

Stewart - I spent some time on this tonight. Nothing under the compatibility tab worked, and I tried all the options. And the "-w" did not work either. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I appreciate the feedback @fullboogie.
Would you and @CliveC share some additional info, provided you are comfortable doing so.
  • Brand and model of the 4K monitor
  • Single or multi-monitor configuration
  • Operating system
  • CPU generation of the PC (i5 3470 for example)
  • Does the PC have a dedicated GFX card, make and model if so
  • The browser you prefer to use
  • A screen capture of the timeline with the tiny font
I'm asking a lot but it helps on several levels. When I call Hikvision technical or post a support ticket to their local agent, the more info I have the better. Additionally it helps with font workarounds and driver issues.
Another plus, Hikvision has a technical representative here that will meet with me to discuss the issue.

Monitor - a single Samsung 390 series connected via HDMI - but this problem is occurring via the web GUI on my laptop
Windows 10 Home using Chrome
Intel i7-8550OU, 16 gb ram
Intel UHD graphics 620 with Nvidia GeForoce MX150

Regarding your issue (which I suspect is separate to CliveC’s) check the following:
In Chrome under settings/appearance, check your Font size and Page Zoom are set to default.

1575825292861.png

Also, check your laptop isn’t set to ‘duplicate’ in the display settings. If your laptop monitor does not natively display at 1920x1080 it may be hobbling the Samsung. In Windows 10 display settings under Multiple displays>Advanced display settings make sure the Samsung is set to 1080p. It’s unlikely this is the issue but worth a gander.

UPDATE - Hikvision UK support have told me that their engineers at HQ are investigating/testing this problem but the fix may take a while as the problem seems to be very specific and is only effecting certain 4K monitors/displays.

To help them pinpoint the problem Hikvision support has asked if anyone has seen the same display issue in any other Hikvision software/tools like iVMS, batch configuration, format convert tool, etc...?

Stew - The Samsung has nothing to do with these problems at all. That is the monitor hooked via HDMI directly to my NVR.

All of my problems are on an HP laptop with a 4K screen. Page zoom is, in fact, set to 100%. I don't have any problems in Chrome - my problem is being unable to read anything in the SADP tool and other issues in the web interface per the picture above.

Dan, I've never used batch config or format converter so I can't comment on those items. Edit - I downloaded batch config and it appears there are no display problems like there are with SADP:

iyjDe2w.jpg

Compared to my SADP screen:

KwwXice.jpg

Last edited:
Another edit - now I see what Clive has discussed. In the playback timeline it is impossible to see the fonts/numbers above the timeline. Seems I have the same problem.

Summary for me: SADP is all but useless; web interface problems like the user account issues above; and the timeline issue that Clive has discussed.

Timeline.JPG

Back