01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision camera advice

anadol

Hi new to this and wondering if you can give me any advice on camera choice. I have an area 17m x 23m to cover with three camera's its dark so i am going to provide some led lighting. I need to use 2.8mm lenses to cover the area. I cannot decide between hikvision acusense DS-2CD2386G2-I 8mp camera's or hikvision colorvu DS-2CD2347G1-LU 4mp camera's. I have read that 8mp would be better if i had to zoom in on an image but the bigger sensor on the colorvu camera's is better for low light conditions. What i guess i need to know is would there be much difference in quality between 8mp and 4mp in the real world.

Be careful with the LED lighting as this could cause big white out areas appearing on your cameras feed. Best bet would be to install the cameras first and see how they perform (as they will have built in Night LEDS anyway) and then change things as necessary.

If opting for 2.8mm, you may well benefit from having a higher resolution for a space of that size. With 4MP in that focal length, you won't achieve sufficient detail for identifying a person's face beyond 5-7 metres.

This guide on the 'Differences in Camera Resolutions' gives a good indication of the different resolutions and what they offer.

It's also worth bearing in mind that ColorVu cameras will switch to their built-in visible white LED light when light levels are too low for their sensor, to maintain a full-resolution colour image. Whereas, the AcuSense will use their invisible IR LEDs to generate a full-resolution black and white image. If you're providing separate LED lighting, then you'll likely get the best low-light image from a ColorVu model.

@Sonic007 is right - you really need to install a camera to test and judge it's the performance in practice for yourself, as people tend to have differing opinions on what camera resolutions are sufficient.

Be careful with the LED lighting as this could cause big white out areas appearing on your cameras feed. Best bet would be to install the cameras first and see how they perform (as they will have built in Night LEDS anyway) and then change things as necessary.
Thanks very much i will bear that in mind fit the cameras then put an led lamp on a pole temporary and try it in different positions i guess

If opting for 2.8mm, you may well benefit from having a higher resolution for a space of that size. With 4MP in that focal length, you won't achieve sufficient detail for identifying a person's face beyond 5-7 metres.

This guide on the 'Differences in Camera Resolutions' gives a good indication of the different resolutions and what they offer.

It's also worth bearing in mind that ColorVu cameras will switch to their built-in visible white LED light when light levels are too low for their sensor, to maintain a full-resolution colour image. Whereas, the AcuSense will use their invisible IR LEDs to generate a full-resolution black and white image. If you're providing separate LED lighting, then you'll likely get the best low-light image from a ColorVu model.

@Sonic007 is right - you really need to install a camera to test and judge it's the performance in practice for yourself, as people tend to have differing opinions on what camera resolutions are sufficient.
Ok thanks very much for your imput. I have had another look into what i am doing and what area i am covering. I have had a look at your guides you have suggested and by adding another camera. I have worked out most of the area can be covered by 2x 4mm cameras and one 6mm which should give me clear images, i am also going to go for 8mp am i right in thinking the AcuSense are available in 8mp 2.8mm 4mm and 6mm?

6mm AcuSense models are hard to come by in the UK at the moment. This DS-2CD2T47G1-L ColorVu Bullet and this DS-2CD2085G1-I Darkfighter Mini Bullet are currently available in a 6mm focal length option.

The 2.8mm and 4mm focal length options are more commonly available. Turrets are very popular and this DS-2CD2386G2-I AcuSense Turret is available in both. The DS-2CD2086G2-IU AcuSense Mini Bullet is available in 2.8mm and should also be available in 4mm next month.

Two cameras should also be sufficient for that space, perhaps a combination of 2x 2.8mm and 1x 4mm, or 2x 4mm.

This video explains the benefits of turrets over some of the other styles - YouTube - 10 Things we Like About Turret Cameras

6mm AcuSense models are hard to come by in the UK at the moment. This DS-2CD2T47G1-L ColorVu Bullet and this DS-2CD2085G1-I Darkfighter Mini Bullet are currently available in a 6mm focal length option.

The 2.8mm and 4mm focal length options are more commonly available. Turrets are very popular and this DS-2CD2386G2-I AcuSense Turret is available in both. The DS-2CD2086G2-IU AcuSense Mini Bullet is available in 2.8mm and should also be available in 4mm next month.

Two cameras should also be sufficient for that space, perhaps a combination of 2x 2.8mm and 1x 4mm, or 2x 4mm.

This video explains the benefits of turrets over some of the other styles - YouTube - 10 Things we Like About Turret Cameras
Ok thanks for that looks like i will go for the 2.8mm and 4mm 8mp acusense turrets for covering the outside area. The mini bullet you mention here may be better than the DS-2CD2085G1-I bullets i was going to use inside. The measurements of two buldings to be covered internally being one at 7.7m x 14.7m and the other being 5m x 11m whats your thoughts on this?
Ok the nvr i was thinking of going for is the DS-7716NI-14/16P to run 10x 8mp cameras 3 running 24/7 the other 7 triggered via movement i had read that 2x hdd's are better than running just the one is this correct? Also would 2x 4tb hdd's be sufficient for this? Note i may add a few extra cameras at a later date too so want the capacity to do this though they maybe small covert cameras just thinking of future proofing.

Back