01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Looking for recommendations for a domestic CCTV system.

BML

I'm considering installing a CCTV system and have no idea where to start because there are so many. Speaking to a neighbour about their system I showed my ignorance on the subject by asking them where they hid their hard drive and was told they use some sort of Cloud system. Would anyone care to suggest a system?

There are a few different systems...

- Cameras round your house all connected via Cat6 Ethernet cable to your Network Video Recorder. (NVR).
The NVR houses the hard drive and also powers all the cameras via power over ethernet (POE).
Your NVR then has an ethernet cable hooking up to your Internet router.
This lets you access it when away from home on devices such as a smart phone.
If using Hikvision, they have an app called HikConnect.
This in my opinion is the best option as you can have your cameras recording 24/7 and in the event of Internet connectivity problems it is still recording.

- Some people have just the cameras fitted with SD cards. These then record to the SD card. They may connect via ethernet or wirelessly to your Interent and you will be able to access recordings via an app. These are often the cheaper cameras and may not have regular firmware updates, no support.

- Cameras that send recordings to the cloud have one advantage...If your NVR gets stolen, your recordings are still in the cloud, however there may be costs associated with cloud storage and you may have bandwidth issues depending on your internet speed.

Reactions: BML
Sonic007, Many thanks for such a precise suggestion which I will now set about pricing.
Regards,
B

However, I just loed at some Hikvision reviews and they were not good.

Many people have had Hikvision installed without any problems. They have regular firmware updates and are well built.

Having started myself from scratch a year ago, it is a bit of a minefield; but if efficient protection is what you want then definitely chose an ethernet wired system such as Hikvision. But I would counsel against putting the kit together yourself. Much better to give Phil or Dan a call at IP Cameras and IP CCTV webshop and let them recommend the best system for you: this forum tells you that they are among the most knowledgeable and helpful guys in the industry.

I would also counsel against installing it yourself if you are inexperienced. There are 50 reasons why a new CCTV system might not work and you don't want to be in that pickle.

Hi BML

I would suggest looking into hikvision turbo HD as its a far more cost effective system for domestic use than a full IP system , plus it doesn't need masses of configuring unlike an IP system does & a mild knowledge of networking is involved. The hik analogue HD systems are literally plug & play , you can even install POC (POWER OVER COAX) cameras , where its literally an rg59 cable from your DVR direct to each camera , otherwise you would use shotgun cable (Rg59 + 2 core power ) or even aa cat5 to each camera then install baluns on the end of the cables , the hik 5mp HDTVI cameras arnt to expensive either , neither are recoders , 5mp camera about £40 & 4 way DVR is about £90 , add some storage too it , a power supply for camera & a bit of cable ..... also there's the added bonus of video & audio being recorded. In my personal view of domestic CCTV analogue HD is half the price of an IP system.

Hope this helps

Hi BML

I would suggest looking into hikvision turbo HD as its a far more cost effective system for domestic use than a full IP system , plus it doesn't need masses of configuring unlike an IP system does & a mild knowledge of networking is involved. The hik analogue HD systems are literally plug & play , you can even install POC (POWER OVER COAX) cameras , where its literally an rg59 cable from your DVR direct to each camera , otherwise you would use shotgun cable (Rg59 + 2 core power ) or even aa cat5 to each camera then install baluns on the end of the cables , the hik 5mp HDTVI cameras arnt to expensive either , neither are recoders , 5mp camera about £40 & 4 way DVR is about £90 , add some storage too it , a power supply for camera & a bit of cable ..... also there's the added bonus of video & audio being recorded. In my personal view of domestic CCTV analogue HD is half the price of an IP system.

Hope this helps

Although analogue may be simpler in your opinion, it is old technology and gives you no upgrade options if later on you wish to change anything.
You will get much better quality using IP cameras that support much better resolutions.

What would you need to upgrade ? Analouge CCTV will always be around , they continue too pump money into R&D , you can get am 8mp HDTVI camera now too which will be plenty sufficient for a domestic installation, yeah an IP camera will out perform its analogue counterpart , but I'm sorry when you look at it from a cost point of view it makes no sense especially in the current climate as its easily double the price & the customer would have to pay somebody to install it as he has little network knowledge

My interest in CCTV has been re-awaked by the knowledge that an elderly lady two doors down from our place had the number plates stolen from her car that was parked in her drive so it’s time to start moving.

The back of our place is reasonably secure made even more so by neighbours being aware that I hold a Fire Arms Certificate which means everyone that side of the ten foot fence will also know. However, the front is where the opportunist criminals can access so that requires coverage.

So, CCTV coverage front and back with a system that can record 24 hours a day and storage. Can anyone suggest the cost of such a system that would have to be installed by an expert as I’m not very technical? Better that that can anyone suggest such an expert in the Abingdon Didcot area?

Hi @BML

If it is a basic residential system you are after we would usually recommend Hikvision and our Camera/NVR recommendations are below:

NVR - DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) if you are using 4 cameras or less / DS-7608NI-I2/8P if you are using more than 4 cameras (supports a Max. of 8 cameras)

Cameras - DS-2CD2345FWD-I 4MP Turret or DS-2CD2385G1-I 8MP Darkfighter Turret

We don't have any specific installers we can recommend in your area but we always advice when searching for a local installer that you make sure they advertise themselves as an "IP CCTV Installer" as many CCTV installers only work with analog systems and may not know how to install an IP solution but will still take the job and do a poor install.

Back