01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision Night Vision

overkillxx

Hey Guys,

First off just wanted to say, THANKYOU very much for all the info you have provided on youtube. I've learnt alot in a short amount of time.

Im currently looking at purchasing a 8-12 hikvision camera system. I am undecided whether to go with the very popular DS-2CD2342WD-I or to opt for using the DS-2CD2355FWD-I or DS-2CD2385FWD-I CCTV camera.

Based on your youtube review I was initially considering the DS-2CD2355FWD-I as from your review it appears to offer very good night vision capabilities for its price range. Then I noted the below thread discussion where people who have both the DS-2CD2355FWD-I & DS-DS-2CD2385FWD-I stated the 5 megapixel model (DS-2CD2355FWD-I) is substantially worse quality for nightvision. This is surprising seeing (From what I understand) that usually a higher megapixel camera will not perform as well at night.

Hikvision DS-2CD2355FWD-I or DS-2CD2385FWD-I

On occasions I would like to stream video over the internet of certain CCTV video feeds. For this reason H265 is very attractive to me. But, if the night vision on the very popular DS-2CD2342WD-I is actually better than either the 2CD2355FWD-I or DS-2CD2385FWD-I then I'd probably prefer that & simply take the compromise over night vision quality for storage & bandwidth savings.

Would really appreciate your feedback on this.

Decisions, decisions :)

The 2342 (4MP) was not particularly good in the dark.
The 2332 (3MP) before it was better.
The new 2335 (3MP) is the best in low-light - if you are looking purely at its ability to 'see in the dark and give a clear image.
[Only the EasyIP 3.0 models - part codes ending with a 5 - offer the new h.265+ CODEC]

When we first got our hands on EasyIP 3.0 5 & 8MP cameras we were concerned about their night-time performance. That was because the first models that we managed to get hold of with a 6mm fixed lens (so that we could continue to compare apples with apples in our video reviews) were mini-bullet cameras, namely the 2055 and 2085 respectively.
The mini-bullet LEDs are not as strong as those in the turret cameras, therefore (due to a lack of night-time illumination) the 5 & 8MP variants didn't look too good.
However, when we eventually got hold of and tested 6mm variants of the 2355 and the 2385 all was fine.
I have no concerns about the night-time performance of either.
The 2355 is great value for a 5MP camera that performs well.
If budgets permit, the 2385 is benchmark standard good!
Watch the full-fat 20fps video we uploaded to YouTube (below) on a big-screen 4K TV and you can't help but be impressed.

Back