01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Strange max bit rate issue

fullboogie

Expert
Trusted Member
I've got four 2355's all on the latest firmware running 265+. When looking under "configuration" and "video/audio" from a web interface, two of the cams have a max bit rate automatically set at 4096, the other two cams have the max bit rate set at 8192. I can't change the settings as they are grayed out. I've triple checked that ALL other settings among the four cameras are identical. What would cause this? I've searched this forum and Googled but have not seen this issue.

Let me add that when I go into each camera interface, I am able to change the max bit rate - but in the NVR interface there is no change from what I wrote above.

Last edited:
When u using H265+, the codec makes his own bitrates, thats why they are grayed out.

Hi,
What @chrizzo says is correct.

Make sure that all the cameras are on the same firmware version, and are using the same CODEC.

As stated in my original post, all cameras are on the same, latest firmware. I understand the camera will make its own bitrates on 265+, but the issues are twofold: the max bitrates are different between two sets of identical cameras; and the max bitrate for all four cameras is set too low according to the NVR's recommendations. For example, the NVR states the max bitrate for cam 1 should be between 7,800 and 9,200 based on all the other settings. But it's set at 4096 and I can't change it.

In order to keep things simple, I did not mention that my fifth camera is a 2358 so it's an 8mp cam. Same problems as described above, and the max bitrate is less than half of what is recommended in the NVR camera settings based on frame rate, recording quality, etc.

I'm just trying to ensure that I'm recording at the highest quality possible to take advantage of all five cams' capabilities. As per Tip #19 on the "Top Thirty Tips" thread on this forum.

I've got four 2355's all on the latest firmware running 265+.
What firmware version please?

I did not mention that my fifth camera is a 2358 so it's an 8mp cam
Typo? I guess you mean 2385? What firmware is is running please?

What frame rate have you set for each camera please?
And video quality?

What NVR model please?
Running what firmware version?

Are you cameras on your network, or direct-connected to your NVR?

according to the NVR's recommendations
and the max bitrate is less than half of what is recommended in the NVR camera settings based on frame rate, recording quality, etc.

Where do you see these recommendations please?
Do those recommendations take account of you using the h.265+ CODEC?
(which delivers approximately a 70% bandwidth / storage improvement over h.264)

Phil, answers are below:

Yes, apologies - I meant 2385. All five cameras are on firmware 5.5.82 and are set to "highest" video quality (per this forum's recommendation).

My NVR is a DS-7608-I2/8P on firmware 4.1.63

Frame rate on all cams is set at 10 fps and they are all plugged into the back of the NVR.

As to where I see the recommendations, when I go to "configuration" and "Video" there is a page that allows me to set all the video parameters such as fps, video quality, etc. That is the page where I see the setting for max bitrate. Just below those settings is a line that says "recommended max bitrate" with a number next to it. That recommended number is a range, e.g. 7,500 - 9,500, and changes according to what I've set for fps, video quality, etc. So for example if I change video quality from "highest" to "medium" and hit save, the "recommended max bitrate" number changes to a lower number, and vice versa.

That's where part of the problem lies. Based on the settings I've established for each camera, the recommended max bitrate as stated by the NVR is a much higher number than what is being reported as the setting for "max bitrate" - a number than I currently cannot change.

I have no idea if the recommended max bitrate takes into account I'm using 265+. I see nothing about this in the user manual.

The greyed-out bitrate field when viewed in the NVR back-end just doesn't seem to update when you change the camera's settings.

I'm checking on a 7716 NVR running firmware V4.1.67 , I don't see those "recommended max bitrate" statements.
(I'm viewing with my browser, maybe you are viewing on a direct-connected monitor?)
Maybe they have not updated that comment line in the GUI to take account of the CODEC.

Nobody has mentioned it before.

The best test will be to play back recordings and make sure that all is performing as you expect.
Smooth playback.
Clear images.
If you extract or capture from playback is it the resolution you expect.

I'll get you a screen shot of what I'm talking about later today. I believe you are 6 hours ahead of me, so perhaps you can look at it tomorrow or Monday. Thanks, Phil.

If you're trying to increase the data rate and want better quality with less compression, why do you need H265+? why not just use H264 and set the max bit rate as desired..

Phil, here is the screenshot we discussed. This is from the monitor on the NVR. As you can see, the third from the bottom shows max recommended bitrate. The weird thing is that after rebooting the NVR, cam 1 allowed the change to the higher bitrate but cams 2-5 did not.

Hik.jpg

Do you have the same issue when only 3 of the cameras are connected to the NVR? I'm wondering if this might be a decoding capability limitation on the NVR.

Not sure, Stew. Hadn't thought of that. I'll try to check that out tomorrow. Thank you for the idea.

Back