01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

16 channel NVR vs (NVR + PoE Network Switch)

Murfy92

Hi,

Apologies but I'm a newbie here ...

I already have a 24 port PoE network switch and was wondering which option is better:
  1. PoE 16 channel NVR
  2. non PoE NVR (and use my existing network switch)
What will give better performance?
at the end of the day i want the cctv video to be as crisp and clear as possible when playing back or watching a stream.

• I am looking to fit 10 Hikvision IP cameras around my house
  • I want to be able to connect a HDMI cable from the NVR to my TV
  • I want at most 4k on each camera or at the very least 1080p
  • I want to be able to access my cameras from anywhere in the world from my mobile phone
  • I want to be able to store maximum 14, minimum 7 days storage

Last edited:
Hi @Murfy92

We would recommend a PoE NVR for 2 main reasons:

Availability - very few Hikvision suppliers will stock the non-PoE models because the price is almost exactly the same so there is no point offering the non-PoE models if the customer is getting less for their money.

Versatility/Options - With a PoE NVR, you have the option to plug all the cameras directly into the NVR, all the cameras into a separate PoE switch and connected to the NVR over the local network, or a combination of both. (based on where the cameras are in relation to the NVR - e.g. if the NVR is in the loft and the cameras are on the roofline you would probably wire directly to the PoE ports, but if you have a ground floor camera that is further away you would connect that to the NVR via a PoE switch somewhere else on the network)

Hi @Murfy92

We would recommend a PoE NVR for 2 main reasons:

Availability - very few Hikvision suppliers will stock the non-PoE models because the price is almost exactly the same so there is no point offering the non-PoE models if the customer is getting less for their money.

Versatility/Options - With a PoE NVR, you have the option to plug all the cameras directly into the NVR, all the cameras into a separate PoE switch and connected to the NVR over the local network, or a combination of both. (based on where the cameras are in relation to the NVR - e.g. if the NVR is in the loft and the cameras are on the roofline you would probably wire directly to the PoE ports, but if you have a ground floor camera that is further away you would connect that to the NVR via a PoE switch somewhere else on the network)
Thanks Dan,

Will the playback/live stream be effected depending on the cameras being direclty connected to NVR or switch.

Hi @Murfy92

We have never experienced any difference in performance between directly connected and PoE switch connected cameras, but potentially if you have very weak/slow internet you may see issues with cameras that are not directly connected. (when I say slow internet it would need to be upload/download speeds which are both in the single digits/low teens which are usually only found with internet connections for very remote properties)

Hi @Murfy92,
Follow their advice, they’re really helpful with top notch knowledge. I use the DS-7616NI-I2-16P with 7 (so far) external 4K POE cameras and haven’t had any issues with bandwidth. All my cameras are set for full 4K full screen recording 24/7, audio as well, full screen alert, face recognition, vehicle recognition, basically everything turned up to the max with zero issues. It records onto two 6TB seagate HDD @H265+ and I haven’t even used half the first drive despite my system running 24/7 for about a month so far.

Back