01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

4-Camera System advice please. 2 x 8M and 2 x 4M cameras and 4 (or 8?) Port NVR

Nigep

I`m looking at adding a 4-camera system to my house. I have done some research but just wanted to check a few things and ask for advice first.

At the moment I`m only looking at 4 camera and was going to get the DS-7604NI-K1/4P but from reading on here, the V4-Lite firmware seems to be flaky which is not what I want. The whole aim of this is to set it up and have it work without issues. The DS-7608NI-I2/8P seems to be the lowest spec -I series, but I`m genuinely unsure if that`s necessary ?

The bit I`m struggling to get my head around is the Accusense or similar options in the latest cameras. If I had a -K series NVR, would that still allow me to use the zone or line crossing options in the camera or does that need an -I series.?

If I decide I want to add extra camera in the future, I can add a POE switch and connect that to my 4-port NVR anyway can`t I ?

Camera wise, I don`t want white, so either Grey or Black and Turret`s will be ideal for where I can fit them.

I am looking at a 2.8mm DS-2CD2386G2-IU covering the driveway with a 4mm DS-2CD2385G1-I covering the front doorway, I don`t seem to be able to find a G2 4mm in Black? . I don`t want any of the cameras that have the built in LED`s, I have PIR floodlights covering the front of the house already so it seems daft buying something I`d never use ?

For the rear of the house I was looking at a couple of 2.8mm DS-2CD2346G2-IU

Any alternative camera recommendations are welcomed. The aim of the system is to have minimal false alarm notifications. The 2 front camera will be linked in the NVR so if either is triggered, via either zone or line crossing or smart detection, both cameras record and send a notification to Hik-Connect on my phone. (I know they record 24/7, but I meant so I can easily find the clip on the timeline). The rear cameras will be similarly linked to each other.

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Nigep

If you want to make the best use of the AcuSense functionality of the cameras you have selected then yes we would recommend the I-series DS-7608NI-I2/8P because it supports the latest firmware to better support the AcuSense cameras.

If you are considering that you may extend your system beyond 4 cameras in the future then definitely we would recommend the 8-channel I-series NVR because the 7604 NVR is fixed to 4 cameras, you cannot expand beyond that.

In regards to your cameras, all those models are a good choice. The 2385G1 is part of the EasyIP 3.0 range and this range only offers G1 models, also just so you are aware the 3.0 range is different to the EasyIP 4.0 range that includes the AcuSense & ColorVu cameras and so the 2385G1 will not support the AcuSense Smart features. (It is still a good 8MP camera for basic coverage, so if the use of smart events is not so crucial for that camera position it is still a model we would recommend)

Nigep

Hi @Nigep

If you want to make the best use of the AcuSense functionality of the cameras you have selected then yes we would recommend the I-series DS-7608NI-I2/8P because it supports the latest firmware to better support the AcuSense cameras.

If you are considering that you may extend your system beyond 4 cameras in the future then definitely we would recommend the 8-channel I-series NVR because the 7604 NVR is fixed to 4 cameras, you cannot expand beyond that.
Thanks for the reply Dan.

Re adding more cameras, couldn't I simply add a Poe bridge to the 4-port NVR?

I think the bit I'm trying to decide is if I actually need all the latest features. It's sometimes easy to get carried away chasing the latest and greatest when actually it's unnecessary.

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Nigep

In answer to your questions, the 4-channel NVR is fixed at 4-channels which means there is no way to add more than 4 cameras to that NVR. We would still recommend the 7608NI-I2/8P as it futureproofs your system both in terms of software/hardware changes to the cameras and the potential to add more cameras in the future, also the I-series offers the best support for the latest AcuSense features.

Nigep

Oh that's interesting. So they actually limit the number of cameras in the software?

Can you add a POE bridge and more cameras to the 7608NI-I2/8P?

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the NVRs have channel/camera limits because IP cameras produce a large amount of data and each NVRs processor has a limit of the data it can manage. (on NVR spec sheets this is referred to as Incoming Bandwidth)

7608NI-I2/8P can have a PoE switch connected to the PoE ports on the NVR to extend the NVR PoE ports to another location, but you still cannot extend the number of cameras the NVR will manage. (e.g. if you have 4 cameras directly connected to the NVR PoE ports and you connect an 8-port PoE switch to the 5th port, you would be able to connect a further 4 cameras to the NVR via that PoE switch but any further cameras added to that PoE switch will not connect to the NVR)

Nigep

That's something I didn't know. Thank you for the clarification

Reactions: Dan