01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

6 X G1 Cameras and a 42W power budget?

pdampier

I am thinking of getting a 16 port switch (UniFi Switch Lite 16 PoE).

I currently have 6 x G1 Cameras directly connected to the NVR.

From the G1 spec sheet I see the max power is 9W over POE.

While each POE port can provide 30W the total POE budget for the switch is 45W.... Is this viable or do I have a problem? (i.e. 6 Cameras x 9W max per camera = 54W).

When I looked at the real time data from the NVR (I now can't find that screen) I'm pretty sure I was seeing only 3-4W per camera?

I can't see that you'll have an issue there. I have various models on my NVR - the lowest power I see is 2.8W and the highest is goes up to 6.0W.

In the NVR menu if you click on Camera Settings > POE to see the status and power draw.

Thanks - I checked and I seem to hover about 38W with the 6 cameras running (This is at night so IR lights lit as well).... Is that enough wiggle room with a 42W POE switch budget?

Hi @pdampier

Not a networking brand we have used before.

Their specs seem very strange, I don't know of any 16-PoE port switch that would have 45W budget when each port supports up to 30W.

If you are using the switch with surveillance we would always recommend a more recognised brand like Hikvisions own switches or Trendnet as the current model you are looking at will give you no capacity to add many more cameras.

Also, I assume that you have only checked the power usage during the day. It will usually be around 4-6W during the day but at night when the IR LEDs come on that is when it jumps to 8-9W and you then may see cameras dropping off the network.

Ubiquiti are a huge brand in small/medium business market (and higher end home market). They make excellent gear with a management interface that spans across their APs/routers/switches so it makes VLANs etc easy to manage along with data usage reporting/management etc.

The 38W I see above is at night with IR on....

Back