01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Abnormal shutdowns on my HIKVision DS-7608NE-E2/8P NVR?

sharky24

Hi all

I've recently inherited a small HIKVision setup consisting of a DS-7608NE-E2/8P NVR and four HIKVision cameras.

One day I came in and the NVR had 'frozen' which lead me to resetting it and looking through the logs. I noticed that almost every day it would experience one or two 'Abnormal Shutdown' operations at around 18:45 and 00:05. Always at these same times (give or take a minute or two either side). Normally the NVR will come back to life after one or two minutes and start normal operations.

Thinking it could be an issue with the UPS that it's connected to, I removed it and connected it directly to the mains. The same two abnormal shutdowns happened at the same times.

The NVR's firmware was out of date so I flashed that. The same two abnormal shutdowns happened post-upgrade at the same times.

I ran a bad sector and extended SMART test on the internal HDD which didn't throw up any problems.

Tonight, I've disconnected it from the Internet connection and left it isolated. I'll check in the morning to see if the shutdowns happened again, I think they will.

I've looked through the NVR's config and can't see anything that's scheduled to happen around the times of the shutdowns.

Does anyone know if the NVR runs any kind of standard maintenance/cleanup jobs that could be spiking it? Is there anything in the cameras that could be happening around the shutdown times that could be causing this?

Going back in the logs as far as they go (currently mid-May 2020) I can see this has been happening for a long time... Losing footage for a couple of minutes during these shutdowns is just about bearable but occasionally it fails to recover and can be down all night or all weekend until I physically reset the NVR.

Any ideas what could be causing these almost twice daily kinds of abnormal shutdowns?

Thanks...

Hi @sharky24

It sounds like you have tried almost everything, there should not be any scans/tests which run automatically at these times on the NVR.

Do you know the camera models you have?

Upvote 0
Hi @sharky24

It sounds like you have tried almost everything, there should not be any scans/tests which run automatically at these times on the NVR.

Do you know the camera models you have?
So with the NVR disconnected from the switch/network last night there were no abnormal shutdowns. I reconnected it to the switch this afternoon and at 18:45 this evening another abnormal shutdown!

Upvote 0
Do you see any difference if you use a different network patch cable to connect the NVR to your LAN?
Use one that is NOT shielded.

Upvote 0
Back