01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Adding camera through POE switch

kmb786

Centurion!
Trusted Member
Hi

I’m not sure if the below is possible so hope someone can confirm the steps required if it is possible.

I currently have Hikvision 4 port NVR and 2 cameras connected to the NVR POE ports.

I have purchased a third camera - ColorVu Turret which activates and works if I directly connect it to the NVR port.

However, I have installed a POE switch in the garage which is connected to a data point that connects back to the main router/access point as I don’t want to run a long Ethernet from the Turret camera direct to the NVR port. I then connected the Turret camera to a port on the POE switch but if I login to the NVR directly or through web browser, then I cannot see or configurethe camera on the NVR.

Therefure, am I doing something wrong. can someone please provide a step by step instruction.

NVR model - DS-7604NI-K1 / 4P(B)
ANPR camera model - DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZS connected to NVR
Bullet camera model - DS-2CD2685G0-IZS connected to NVR
ColorVu Torret model - DS-2CD2347G2-LU - I’m trying to connect this to separate Poe switch on the same network as NVR but NVR not seeing it.

Thanks

When you plug an IP Camera into anything other than the back of the NVR, the NVR will not find it. NVR's do not search your LAN for cameras.

You will need to download the SADP tool.

1. Plug camera(in your case: DS-2CD2347G2-LU) into the switch.
  2. Open SADP tool, you should see your NVR in addition to the turret camera listed on the network.
  3. Select the camera and click "Enable DHCP" if it is not already enabled.
    1. Hopefully enabling DHCP has made your router issue the camera an IP on your LAN IP range. To check this, click refresh on the SADP tool. If your camera IPv4 Address is on the same range as the NVR (for example, it might be 192.168.X.XX) You're good to go.
    2. Now you need to fix the IP so your router cannot issue it a different IP in the future. To do this, simply disable DHCP by deselecting "Enable DHCP".
    3. Note the fixed IP of camera.
  4. Now navigate to your NVR's webpage and login.
  5. Go to Configuration>System>Camera Management>IP Camera(This might not be necessary depending on NVR firmware).
  6. Select the channel that you would like to add the camera to and click modify.
  7. Change "Adding Method" from plug and play to "Manual".
  8. Enter the IP address of the camera into the "IP Camera Address" field.
  9. Enter User and Password of camera.
  10. Click Ok.
That should be it.

When you plug an IP Camera into anything other than the back of the NVR, the NVR will not find it. NVR's do not search your LAN for cameras.

You will need to download the SADP tool.

1. Plug camera(in your case: DS-2CD2347G2-LU) into the switch.
  2. Open SADP tool, you should see your NVR in addition to the turret camera listed on the network.
  3. Select the camera and click "Enable DHCP" if it is not already enabled.
    1. Hopefully enabling DHCP has made your router issue the camera an IP on your LAN IP range. To check this, click refresh on the SADP tool. If your camera IPv4 Address is on the same range as the NVR (for example, it might be 192.168.X.XX) You're good to go.
    2. Now you need to fix the IP so your router cannot issue it a different IP in the future. To do this, simply disable DHCP by deselecting "Enable DHCP".
    3. Note the fixed IP of camera.
  4. Now navigate to your NVR's webpage and login.
  5. Go to Configuration>System>Camera Management>IP Camera(This might not be necessary depending on NVR firmware).
  6. Select the channel that you would like to add the camera to and click modify.
  7. Change "Adding Method" from plug and play to "Manual".
  8. Enter the IP address of the camera into the "IP Camera Address" field.
  9. Enter User and Password of camera.
  10. Click Ok.
That should be it.
Hi

Many thanks for the detailed instructions and I will give them a go.

Just couple of questions -

1. do I need to factory reset the camera before I do the above as it’s already been activated when it was directly connected to NVR ?

2. With regards to the Ethernet connection from the router/AP to the POE switch, do I just connect to one of the free Poe ports or is it the uplink port.

Once again many thanks.

1. That wouldn't be a bad idea. Although, you should be fine to do it without resetting.
2. Depends on your switch however usually you can plug the router into any port, although port one is good practice.

1. That wouldn't be a bad idea. Although, you should be fine to do it without resetting.
2. Depends on your switch however usually you can plug the router into any port, although port one is good practice.
Thank you - will give it a go.

Back