01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

adding remote cameras to optiview vms

prop

i just got a optiview dvr and i an trying to add a remote dvr and cameras to view .is it possible?

Hi @prop

We have no experience with Optiview, but from our experience with other manufacturers, I do not think it is going to be possible to connect a remote DVR to a new DVR on your local network.

this is a description of the unit and i thought i can add ip cameras

The all new 8 channel Intelligent Series embedded DVR boasts a fully featured DVR that offers 4K HD video recording, perimeter protection or facial recognition on 2 channels, and intelligent motion detection on all channels using HD-over-Coax, or other Analog based cameras. The HDVR84K-Q2AI will also support IP cameras (up to 16 channels) but the addition of IP cameras will remove the analytic features.

Apologies, your initial description of what you were trying to do was not clear.

It does appear you can add some IP cameras to this DVR model, but those IP cameras need to be connected to separate PoE injectors/switches and not directly to PoE ports on a recorder because the whole recorder cannot be added to the DVR, just individual cameras.

Also, if the IP cameras are outside the local network that the DVR is connected to, you will have to port forward the IP cameras so that they can reach outside the network they are currently on to be seen by the DVR. This guide gives you the basics of port forwarding cameras. (this guide is mainly about Hikvision devices, but the principles of port forwarding are pretty similar for all IP cameras)

ok thanks .i have a hilook ptz camera as well as the nightowl dvr ,that is connected to my remote router only and not the dvr,that i was able to view with hikivision but i am not able to do that anymore and since i`m no longer at that location i can`t make any adjustments. i can however access the remote router . is their anything i can do with that? thanks again for your help

Have you ever been able to login to the remote PTZ since being at the new location? If you have not been able to access it since moving outside that network it would suggest that you did not port forward that camera and thus it will not be accessible from outside the network it is currently connected to.

You would need to either connect directly to the network the PTZ is connected to and set up the port forward or remove the camera from that network and physically move it to your new network.

no i have not been able to access it since moving. is it possible to view my nightowl system on hiki vision or any other application?

If the Nightowl product is ONVIF compliant then you should be able to connect it to a Hikvision NVR, but Hik-Connect and other Hik software like iVMS-4200 do not support 3rd-party cameras being directly connected. (they have to be first connected to a Hikvision NVR)

If you have a system that has a mix of cameras from different brands you may be best off looking for a 3rd-party VMS (Video Management Software) that can handle a variety of ONVIF brands.

You can check if your Nightowl product is ONVIF compliant using the Conformant Product search tool on the ONVIF website.

i am able to view my camera on my tablet,but not on my phone or laptop

Back