01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Alarm Input to DS-2CD

ikcarus

Hello all,

Long(ish) time Hik user, first time forum poster.

I'm connecting a Hik DS-2CD2346 to an analog alarm panel, to replace a now defunct telephone dialler. Plan being, alarm trigger -> Alarm input on camera, to notification via hikconnect.

I have the option of a 3 way NC-C-NO relay, or a 12V output when the alarm is live (for sounders).

At the moment, with this connected up, both the 12V and to the relay, I'm getting an alarm notification via hikconnect once per minute. I'm measuring 12V across the terminals when alarm is active, and seeing 1v` when it's inactive.

Would anybody have any suggestions as to what may be going on? I'm thinking the 1V floating might be causing the camera to 'see' an active alarm when it's not there?

Hello all,

Long(ish) time Hik user, first time forum poster.

I'm connecting a Hik DS-2CD2346 to an analog alarm panel, to replace a now defunct telephone dialler. Plan being, alarm trigger -> Alarm input on camera, to notification via hikconnect.

I have the option of a 3 way NC-C-NO relay, or a 12V output when the alarm is live (for sounders).

At the moment, with this connected up, both the 12V and to the relay, I'm getting an alarm notification via hikconnect once per minute. I'm measuring 12V across the terminals when alarm is active, and seeing 1v` when it's inactive.

Would anybody have any suggestions as to what may be going on? I'm thinking the 1V floating might be causing the camera to 'see' an active alarm when it's not there?
You need to use the volt free connections - do not apply a 12V DC trigger to the camera input. Connect common/normally closed pair from the alarm panel to GND and alarm input 1 on the camera. The alarm input on the camera can be swapped from normally open to closed and vice versa in the programming if necessary.

Alternatively connect a separate 12V DC relay coil across the +12V bell hold off and 0V bell trigger and then connect the common/normally closed pair from that relay to the camera input. The benefit of using the sounder output and relay is that you can test it whenever you want using the bell test facility on your keypad.

Thanks. Strangely, my assumption was to use the tele dialler relays, but they were exhibiting this same behaviour of operating every 1 min.

Thanks. Strangely, my assumption was to use the tele dialler relays, but they were exhibiting this same behaviour of operating every 1 min.
Alarms of the same type can only be notified once a minute. So if you’re connected correctly it sounds as though the input is permanently in alarm and therefore triggering through once a minute. To correct that you need to either invert the camera input OR swap the output from the alarm to correct it.

Thanks JB, I'll give that a try. It's the first time I've worked on an alarm input, so picking through the problems!

Just to clarify your comment that the alarm is permanently in - if the camera is programmed to look for a NO alarm, that means it'll trigger on the closing pulse, or have I got that the wrong way around? NO would generally indicate open circuit when alarm inactive?

Thanks JB, I'll give that a try. It's the first time I've worked on an alarm input, so picking through the problems!

Just to clarify your comment that the alarm is permanently in - if the camera is programmed to look for a NO alarm, that means it'll trigger on the closing pulse, or have I got that the wrong way around? NO would generally indicate open circuit when alarm inactive?
It can vary between manufacturers causing some confusion. Normally open, as you say, would be open when inactive, close to trigger. If the camera is on an NVR with monitor/TV, it would be obvious as the bell icon would be permanently present in the corner of the screen.

Preferred operation would be to use a normally closed pair going open on alarm. The reason for that is if the circuit becomes disconnected it will be in alarm therefore fail safe.

Agreed JB! I trained in electronics, and Normally Open was just that! I'll take a look at this system and see what it indicates. Thanks!

Back