01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Another camera or a doorbell camera to hook up to my NVR?

THeMiB

I have a Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2-8P in the loft, power in the loft.
I also have 3 x DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL.

When it was installed I had a CAT5 cable run down to the front door if I was going to add another camera facing out from the above the front door.

I would like, or thought I did, a doorbell camera with an alert to phone. That could be integrated or stand alone.

My options are to have a
1. 2 way audio turret cam above the front door set to alert and record to NVR.
2. A doorbell unit stand alone, any brand.
3. a suitable integrated Hikvision unit, that would alert, record to NVR, use the spare cable or not.
4. another suggestion.

Fire away!

Thanks.

Hi @THeMiB

We would recommend either option 1 or option 3.

If you go with a Hikvision intercom then we would probably recommend DS-KV6113-WPE1 Pro Video Intercom Villa Door Station as this can be added directly to the Hi-Connect app to alert you, whilst also being able to continuously record to the NVR. The only thing you need to be aware of is that the Hikvision intercom cannot be wired directly into the PoE ports on the NVR, it needs to be visible on the local network as its own device so that it can be added to Hik-Connect separately and so the doorbell notifications can reach the mobile app. To do this you would need to connect the intercom to a separate PoE injector or PoE switch, when connected this way you can still add the camera stream from the intercom to the NVR over your local network and record that way.

Hello Dan, pleased to meet you and thanks for the prompt reply.
I just need to get a picture in my head of the connection plan.

So I dont use the cable that goes from outside the front door to the loft, or if I do, the switch or injector will be in the loft, but need to connect to my router somehow first?

Or a new cable through the wall frame to router, then router to NVR.
Is the use of home plugs possible? Wifi?

I will try to sketch this out to get best use of the setup as you mentioned.

Hi @THeMiB

The simplest solution as you already have the cable run to the door would be to connect that cable run to that PoE injector in the loft (instead of directly into the PoE ports on the NVR) and then connect that injector to your local network (either directly to the router or some other network access point like a standard switch or a home plug/powerline device).

Hi @THeMiB

The simplest solution as you already have the cable run to the door would be to connect that cable run to that PoE injector in the loft (instead of directly into the PoE ports on the NVR) and then connect that injector to your local network (either directly to the router or some other network access point like a standard switch or a home plug/powerline device).
Perfect, crystal clear.

So decision down to option 1 or 3. :)

What would you do Dan?!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
I have a Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2-8P in the loft, power in the loft.
I also have 3 x DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL.

When it was installed I had a CAT5 cable run down to the front door if I was going to add another camera facing out from the above the front door.

I would like, or thought I did, a doorbell camera with an alert to phone. That could be integrated or stand alone.

My options are to have a
1. 2 way audio turret cam above the front door set to alert and record to NVR.
2. A doorbell unit stand alone, any brand.
3. a suitable integrated Hikvision unit, that would alert, record to NVR, use the spare cable or not.
4. another suggestion.

Fire away!

Thanks.
Do what I did which is to add the additional camera (an LSU/SL) and connect a standard doorbell push to the alarm input, then in parallel connect that to the contacts of a wireless bell push or alternatively use the output to switch any other existing door chime. That leaves you with standard doorbell alert in the house (for when you're in) but also triggers a push notification through Hik Connect to your phone enabling 2 way audio (when you're out or just don't want to get off the sofa). I did a post on this some time ago and have done this a couple of times now.

Reactions: Dan
Do what I did which is to add the additional camera (an LSU/SL) and connect a standard doorbell push to the alarm input, then in parallel connect that to the contacts of a wireless bell push or alternatively use the output to switch any other existing door chime. That leaves you with standard doorbell alert in the house (for when you're in) but also triggers a push notification through Hik Connect to your phone enabling 2 way audio (when you're out or just don't want to get off the sofa). I did a post on this some time ago and have done this a couple of times now.
Interesting!
I will try and get my head round this, you sound like an installer?

Interesting!
I will try and get my head round this, you sound like an installer?
I am yes. The first one I did I used my existing wireless doorbell, replaced the wireless push with a standard wired push, which I connected to the camera input with one pair and then connected a second pair of wires between the camera output and the solder pads on the removed wireless push and it worked a treat. The second time I tried it I had a few issues. The supposedly volt free output on the camera was locking up the wireless bell push and stopping it from working. On that one to get around the issue I ended up not using the alarm output at all, simply looping the wired push through the camera input to the wireless push. That worked out better in the end as it meant that even if the camera failed completely there would still be a doorbell working.

I am yes. The first one I did I used my existing wireless doorbell, replaced the wireless push with a standard wired push, which I connected to the camera input with one pair and then connected a second pair of wires between the camera output and the solder pads on the removed wireless push and it worked a treat. The second time I tried it I had a few issues. The supposedly volt free output on the camera was locking up the wireless bell push and stopping it from working. On that one to get around the issue I ended up not using the alarm output at all, simply looping the wired push through the camera input to the wireless push. That worked out better in the end as it meant that even if the camera failed completely there would still be a doorbell working.
Thanks for that.
I do have a mains powered doorbell, well it is on the fusebox!
I will find a way.

Back