01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Another newbie setup

Danny109

Hi all, I’ve posted a couple of pics. I’m looking at a PTZ dome on the side of the house, hoping that a 4 mp with 4x zoom will cover the drive (main approach to the house) and the side gate ( indicated by the red line behind the hedge). My thinking was If I mount it on a corner bracket just below the sky dish it will also cover the rear garden. On the front of the house I really wanted to mount high to save on ugly wiring so was thinking a fixed
8DA37E32-7E1A-47FB-854E-6D249E6A2638.jpeg
AEB6AC8E-A0EC-4A9A-9E47-3E5390870D91.jpeg
92016BE6-3D77-4DA4-9331-B65A8AF96CCB.jpeg
motorised varifocal pointing to the front door. Not sure if the ptz is sufficient or if I need to put another fixed on the opposite end to the ptz.

Hi @Danny109

We usually say that PTZs on residential properties are overkill and customers usually expect too much from them.

If you want to cover the full 270 degrees from the rear double doors round to the side gate/drive with a PTZ you would need to set it up to patrol those locations (e.g. spend 15-20 seconds at one location and then move to the next for another 15-20 seconds) and this can be problematic because when covering such a small area you can miss a lot of activity while the PTZ is at one of its other patrol positions.

We would simplify the setup and just recommend 3 fixed cameras on each side of the property. We would probably recommend something like the DS-2CD2385G1-I 8MP Turret cameras, we would recommend a 2.8mm on the side to cover the drive and gate and then 2 x 4mm for the back and front of the property. Also at that front, as you are covering such short distances (less than 10m from the camera to the hedge and the camera to the front door) it would probably be better to mount the camera at the front closer to head height (around 3-4m) as the currently marked position will leave you only capturing the top of peoples heads when they at the front door.

For recording, we would recommend the DS-7608NI-I2/8P 8-channel NVR with Western Digital Purple HDDs

Back