01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Another quality/troubleshooting question

DrPhilG

Any suggestions to improve my night vision quality, and explain why one camera is so good while the others are not?

6 cameras at various points around the house:
Screenshot_20190502-005851_Hik-Connect.jpg

The one at the front gate itself is very good. I thought it would suffer from glare off the gate and the pillar, plus the wall opposite but it's fine. (excuse the volume button)
Screenshot_20190502-005737_Hik-Connect.jpg

But the others are all quite hazy and grainy. I've tried to minimise the amount of sky and walls etc.
Screenshot_20190502-005746_Hik-Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20190502-005836_Hik-Connect.jpg

And this one keeps getting dirty/rain spotted:
Screenshot_20190502-005758_Hik-Connect.jpg

I thought the images were actually quite good until I installed the one on the gate pillar and it was so much better.

One thing to note is that the one on the pillar uses a different type of cable. It is a 100m external cat-5e cable from Amazon:
100m OUTDOOR EXTERNAL cat5e... 100m OUTDOOR EXTERNAL cat5e Network Ethernet Cable (PVC Lined) BLACK: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

The others are cat-5e I believe so I don't think it will make any difference.

Are they done cameras?

Maybe they just need a clean with a microfibre cloth.

They look like they may have drops of dried water on them. Spray with a glass cleaner and wipe with a microfibre cloth and see if that helps.

Yeah it's dried water and I gave them a wipe, but they seem to keep getting marked up again every few days.

The white wall in the good scene will be reflecting IR well.

I thought I was supposed to be reducing IR reflection, lol.

I get what you mean though.

Someone elsewhere suggested that I could illuminate the back yard by using an IR floodlight. Have you any experience/thoughts on that?

Separate IR lamps are seldom used, because traditionally they were an expensive option - as much or more than the cameras.
So, most folk would opt for a white LED floodlight from B&Q!

This was what I was looking at:

Back