01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Apple issues. Via Hik-Connect and browsers

PaulS

A few weeks ago I started to get all sorts of issues with my iPads and iMac when viewing live or playback from my NVR.

I've a HV NVR 7732NI - Records and plays-back perfectly (no errors).
All cameras (23-off) are HV (various and latest firmware), connected via home ethernet and PoE

iPads (3-off) when running Hik-Connect, IVMS-4500 or when using Safari see large solid green areas and/or image freezing/"stuttering"/lost frames.
I have an older iPad which still has IVMS-4500HD and this seems to work far more reliably.

iMac Safari browser doesn't work ("stuttering" images, if any). iMac is usually connected wirelessly but problems persist when on ethernet cable.
IVMS4200 on the iMac seems OK in Live View (Main View).

Windows laptop Chrome browser seems OK on Live Views (although I have seen some "stuttering"/lagging).
On playback from NVR first few seconds have green elements to screen but seems to settle down.

Image delays, lost frames, green screen made me think "buffering issues" but I see the problems both on wireless and on wired.
have changed router out to see if it's them, but results the same. have removed all traffic on the network apart from NVR and 2 cameras; same.

Oddly, my newest camera a 2DF9C435IH PTZ is running 25fps and is generating the most data of any of my cameras and this seems to working almost perfectly ‍♀️. I have seen a few glitches but nothing like the other cameras. Issues seem to vary by camera type and whether using a browser or IVMS, some display an image which is 2/3 solid green, others the frame loss. Haven't really got to the bottom of this, though.

I've tried taking off H.265+ and running H.265 "standard", but no noticeable difference.

Ideas/suggestions anyone, please?

@PaulS is your NVR WAN network receive being maxed out?

what happens if you temporarily reduce video resolution and frame rates?

@PaulS ignore my last I have replied to the wrong thread.

I've noticed something similar that started 2 to 3 weeks ago, I wonder if this is related to all the recent Apple updates pushed to various devices?

I've noticed something similar that started 2 to 3 weeks ago, I wonder if this is related to all the recent Apple updates pushed to various devices?
Yes, I wondered that, but more-or-less at the same time I swapped from the IVMS-4500HD to the non-"HD" version having been told the HD version was old and the new one is the supported version. However, it doesn't seem to have been updated for some time. I, too, suspect the Apple/HV combination, but difficult to isolate completely as do see some wierdos on my Win laptop (some frame stuttering).

My older lower-speed cameras seem better, some only run H264. My Colorvu are the worst. As mentioned in the Op, my new PTZ running full frame is the best (although not perfect). I've reduced the frame rates and from H265+ to "vanilla" and it does seem to improve. I'll spend more time on this. The sub-stream on H.264 and low frame rates (and low data rates, is OK. Increasing the data rates to max and the frame rate to 10fps causes problems.

No, plenty of scope/capacity on the NVR. See post below about slowing speeds. I still suspect some kind of buffering issue as for short periods Live View is fine, then it misses a few seconds and also drops frames so 15fps looks like 4.

@PaulS My router wireless interface reported that my current channels were congested so I've changed to less congested channels. I also saw that the tplink powerline adapter is flashing green / amber and the link is asymmetric at 700Mb up and <75Mb down, need to fix that. Playback from the NVR is flawless so my problems are LAN / wifi related.

I also use iVMS4500HD and will stick with it as it works well, when my LAN problems are fixed I'll see if the playback problems persist.

Hi, David. I'm sure my wireless isn't congested but because the NVR records perfectly (cameras all on ethernet) I did (still do, to some extent) suspect the wireless so changed to a different router and took everything off the network except for 2 cameras and the NVR; same issues. Connected my iMac (normally wireless) via Ethernet and same problem.

Wish I hadn't deleted iVMS-4500HD......

I do suspect Apple & HV as iVMS-4500 lite hasn't been updated for >6 months and there seem to have been many Apple changes. But, having said that, not just iVMS as browsers on the iMac and iPads don't work either.

Odd that my full-frame PTZ seems to perform the best, though. Maybe there's something different in its buffering capabilities.

No, plenty of scope/capacity on the NVR. See post below about slowing speeds. I still suspect some kind of buffering issue as for short periods Live View is fine, then it misses a few seconds and also drops frames so 15fps looks like 4.
@PaulS from your router wireless interface can you tell what protocols (or MCS index) are being used to connect to your various devices? At a minimum it should be 802.11n
seems odd that the older codecs (H264) seem to perform better.

@PaulS from your router wireless interface can you tell what protocols (or MCS index) are being used to connect to your various devices? At a minimum it should be 802.11n
seems odd that the older codecs (H264) seem to perform better.
I’ve tri-band routers configured for 802.11ax or Wi-Fi-6. Able to stream 4K vids from the internet to wireless devices. Pretty much all the cameras work on the sub-stream but of course the quality is very inferior. Again, the PTZ seems to work more-or-less ok at full frame and it’s on the same network. Appreciate your help & ideas, David.

Are you still seeing issues, David, or have you fixed it somehow?

I’ve tri-band routers configured for 802.11ax or Wi-Fi-6. Able to stream 4K vids from the internet to wireless devices. Pretty much all the cameras work on the sub-stream but of course the quality is very inferior. Again, the PTZ seems to work more-or-less ok at full frame and it’s on the same network. Appreciate your help & ideas, David.
Paul, have you checked your router firmware?

Paul, have you checked your router firmware?
Yes, latest, but...... I chose what turns out to be a bit of a "bleeding-edge" system. I've had issues with it (mainly connectivity to the 2.4MHz band) but this only seems to be a camera-based Live View/Playback issue. Nothing else affected (as far as I can tell), for example 4K Youtube downloads to the iPads (simultaneously) work fine.

Yes, latest, but...... I chose what turns out to be a bit of a "bleeding-edge" system. I've had issues with it (mainly connectivity to the 2.4MHz band) but this only seems to be a camera-based Live View/Playback issue. Nothing else affected (as far as I can tell), for example 4K Youtube downloads to the iPads (simultaneously) work fine.
try disabling your Wi-fi router interfaces and try playback connected to a router Ethernet port. In the early days of 802.11ac some router cpu’s were overloaded.

Evening, David. Thanks for sticking with this....
I did disconnect everything from the routers and connected my iMac to an ethernet port but same story. Obviously I can't connect the iPads... I didn't disable the wifi on the routers, though. I'll try that tomorrow.

Evening, David. Thanks for sticking with this....
I did disconnect everything from the routers and connected my iMac to an ethernet port but same story. Obviously I can't connect the iPads... I didn't disable the wifi on the routers, though. I'll try that tomorrow.
@PaulS could you post your camera / NVR model and firmware details? A screenshot from the SADP tool should do, mask the serial numbers.

All cameras & NVR are latest firmware.

More hours on this today...

1. NVR playback via TV works well. Not green screen/frame loss.

2. Win Laptop - connected via Ethernet
When connected via Ethernet all cameras seem OK when connecting via browser for Live View.
When trying to Live View from the NVR most (all?) cameras display flashing solid green on half the screen, jerky images and frame loss.
When Playback from the NVR typically flashing green screen for 2-3 seconds (3-4 flashes) thereafter jerky images, frame loss and image seems to jump back in time and then forward, then back.

3. Win Laptop - connected via wireless
As point 2 above.

1st conclusion: network, both Ethernet and wireless are OK.

@PaulS could you post your camera / NVR model and firmware details? A screenshot from the SADP tool should do, mask the serial numbers.
David, I'm trying to find the (many) hours to go through this logically using the many access options and camera types. I'll be back.......

@PaulS
Paul, it sounds as though there is network congestion somewhere on your network. Can you check your NVR WAN port network stats? Use your Win notebook connected to ethernet.

Back