01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Arggghh LAN network help please - setting up my HiLook cameras and NVR

Danny109

Hi I’ve been at it all day trying to sort this out. I’ve followed as many tutorials as I can find but still no luck

I’ve got 2 Hilook cameras connected to a PoE switch in the loft. From the switch I’ve got an Ethernet down to my router. From the router I’ve another Ethernet to the LAN on my NVR (Hilook MH108)If I scan devices online I can see both cameras with the NVR given ip addresses 192.168.254.5 etc

I’ve found the IP that my router is giving to my NVR 192.168.1.220 (have set this in my network page of NVR with gateway etc) and have found spare addresses 221,222 but if I edit the cameras to these addresses in manual just shows offline. I’ve tried all sorts.

im really struggling now to sort it out. Also if I connect the Ethernet from PoE switch to rear of nvr I can display the cameras ( but only one on plug n play) so I know the cameras work and the cabling is ok
256684CD-8D6C-451E-BB30-773BCD68A098.jpeg

Last edited:
@Danny109 my NVR (7608 I) WAN port connects to the router, not sure about your NVR.

Use the SADP tool to activate DHCP on both cameras (192.168.254.5) that have the same IP address.

You also have two different IP subnets (192.168.254.nnn and 192.168.1.nnn) are you somehow cross connected to the NVR private subnet?

Thanks David I did edit the two online devices with 192.168.1.xxxx but they just sit at the bottom. When I try to add them it says cannot add anymore ip cameras.

Thanks David I did edit the two online devices with 192.168.1.xxxx but they just sit at the bottom. When I try to add them it says cannot add anymore ip cameras.
@Danny109 on the NVR are channels D7 and D8 available for use?

Are the cameras with IP 192.168.254.nnn connected to the poe ethernet ports at the back of your NVR? 192.168.254.12 seems out of range for the NVR private subnet.

Are you assigning fixed IP addresses to your other cameras or letting your router DHCP server assign them?

What new IP addresses do the cameras at the bottom have?

David the cameras are connected to the PoE switch and from the switch to the router. If I only have one plugged in and set as plug and play it will give it an address of 192.168.254.xx (although I do have to have the Ethernet from the switch straight into D1 of NVR for that to happen) I then edit it to 192.168.1.xxxx and save it and it just goes offline. I can’t even see it in router as an online device but I can see the NVR which is set as 192.168.1.220 on my router
Yes I’ve got a turret camera to add to the system and I plugged this directly into D8 on the nvr and it worked obviously with the nvr assigned ip

I would have thought with the camera set manually to say192.168.1.101 and the Ethernet cable going from my switch to the router then I should at least see the camera regardless of the nvr

David the cameras are connected to the PoE switch and from the switch to the router. If I only have one plugged in and set as plug and play it will give it an address of 192.168.254.xx (although I do have to have the Ethernet from the switch straight into D1 of NVR for that to happen) I then edit it to 192.168.1.xxxx and save it and it just goes offline. I can’t even see it in router as an online device but I can see the NVR which is set as 192.168.1.220 on my router
Yes I’ve got a turret camera to add to the system and I plugged this directly into D8 on the nvr and it worked obviously with the nvr assigned ip

I would have thought with the camera set manually to say192.168.1.101 and the Ethernet cable going from my switch to the router then I should at least see the camera regardless of the nvr
The 8 poe ethernet ports on the rear of your NVR are on the NVR private subnet 192.168.254.nnn, this is exclusive to the NVR and has no route to your router. You may be able to access these cameras by enabling the virtual host (if available on your NVR).

Any cameras connected to your router network should have DHCP enabled and get an IP address from the router DHCP server. Find out the assigned IP addresses and edit NVR channels D7 or D8 and add the IP address there. I hope I got that right.....

Thanks David I appreciate you taking the time. I will have another delve into it.

Hi David yes it’s pretty spot on but my LAN port to router does go direct to the router and not the PoE switch. So both the NVR and the PoE switch go to the router not to each other. Had another play but no luck, I’ve pulled what little hair I have out now. I’m considering throwing the towel in and putting the NVR in the loft and using the Ethernet cable going down to the TV for HDMI over Ethernet instead. Will be straightforward plug n play then although I will loose the ability to edit with the mouse

Hi David yes it’s pretty spot on but my LAN port to router does go direct to the router and not the PoE switch. So both the NVR and the PoE switch go to the router not to each other. Had another play but no luck, I’ve pulled what little hair I have out now. I’m considering throwing the towel in and putting the NVR in the loft and using the Ethernet cable going down to the TV for HDMI over Ethernet instead. Will be straightforward plug n play then although I will loose the ability to edit with the mouse
None of my cameras connect direct to the NVR, they are all connected to the local network and get IP addresses from the router DHCP server. On the NVR I edit one of the camera channels and add the camera IP address, port, user id and password. I don't know if this will work on the HiLook NVR.

I thought i would share my work around for anybody in the future having similar problems. Firstly thanks David for all your help it much appreciated. Unfortunately i was unable to get the cameras to work over my existing LAN but not for the want of trying. So in the end i put my NVR in the airing cupboard and connected my cameras directly to it and set them on plug n play. i then used the ethernet cable going from the loft to the downstairs Tv to transmit HDMI over ethernet. This has worked brilliantly with crystal clear picture quality. I can now sit in my arm chair flick the TV over and control everything with a £9 wireless mouse. The only thing i had lost was the ability to login on my phone when away from home and this was simply sorted with a wireless bridge plugged into the LAN port of my NVR . Ive had no issues doing it this way and in some ways it is probably better as bob the burglar might had nicked my NVR if it had been under the TV.

I thought i would share my work around for anybody in the future having similar problems. Firstly thanks David for all your help it much appreciated. Unfortunately i was unable to get the cameras to work over my existing LAN but not for the want of trying. So in the end i put my NVR in the airing cupboard and connected my cameras directly to it and set them on plug n play. i then used the ethernet cable going from the loft to the downstairs Tv to transmit HDMI over ethernet. This has worked brilliantly with crystal clear picture quality. I can now sit in my arm chair flick the TV over and control everything with a £9 wireless mouse. The only thing i had lost was the ability to login on my phone when away from home and this was simply sorted with a wireless bridge plugged into the LAN port of my NVR . Ive had no issues doing it this way and in some ways it is probably better as bob the burglar might had nicked my NVR if it had been under the TV.
Good to hear you've found a solution that works. What did you use for the HDMI over ethernet?

This was the HDMI over ethernet that i used. There are cheaper ones but i decided going midrange might be safer

this was the wifi bridge to give remote access. This was cheap because i wasnt convinced it would work in the airing cupboard with the door shut but it works great. Instant access with no lagging

This was the HDMI over ethernet that i used. There are cheaper ones but i decided going midrange might be safer

this was the wifi bridge to give remote access. This was cheap because i wasnt convinced it would work in the airing cupboard with the door shut but it works great. Instant access with no lagging

I am still looking for HDMI over the LAN network (not direct cable). It'll be quite pricey.

Back