01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Aspect Ratio

CliveC

Thanks to Use-IP for sending me the cube camera DS-2CD2455FWD-IW. Great image quality.

This has the latest firmware, which prompted for the IE browser plugin to be updated, to version 3.0.7.11
I notice in this version the option to set aspect ration to be correct ie 16:9 is now missing. However I note if I point the browser at other, older cameras the 16:9 option is still there, but not for the cube camera...

It was always annoying that this couldn't be set on the camera and/or wasn't remembered from session to seesion.

Am I alone in thinking this is not a good situation? I think the aspect ratio should be correct. Why the default is not I have no idea.
Are any of you able to feedback to Hikvision? and also file a bug that this option is missing from this specific camera?

It is running firmware V5.5.83 build 190221

Last edited:
Hi @CliveC

Thank you for bringing this to our attention

We have tested the demo 2455 we have in our office and we do see the same problem, on v5.5.82 I could change the aspect ratio and when I updated like yourself it removed this option from the live view, I thought they may have moved it into one of the settings menus but I have scanned through the configuration menus and I could not find any trace of this aspect ratio setting.

I will pass this onto Hikvision tech support and see if they can explain what has happened to this feature. (it may be a bug with the latest firmware that they are unaware of)

What a timely post, as I am considering buying this very camera. CliveC, if you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts on this camera at some point I would appreciate it.

@fullboogie No problem at all. So far I am impressed with the video quality. It only arrived today, so if you give me a few more days I will have more experience of it and can post a quick review. One immediate thought though - it gets surprisingly hot. @Dan do you find that with the demo one you have?

One immediate thought though - it gets surprisingly hot. @Dan do you find that with the demo one you have?

Yes @CliveC our demo model does get quite hot, we also have the older 2442 4MP Cube camera setup and that doesn't get as warm so I don't know if it is something to do with the new design or that the newer model is just more power hungry and working harder.

Hi @CliveC

Just to keep you up to date, I have shared the problem with Hikvision and also pointed out to them that it appears to be affecting other 5MP models, they did not appear to be aware of the issue so it may be a bug in the latest firmware. Until they release a new version you may be best dropping back to v5.5.82 if you really need to use the aspect ratio button.

Great thanks Dan for the update. Hopefully they will find a fix soon. I wonder if they might consider an option in the firmware to lock the aspect ratio or at least set the default for a given camera. Defaulting to 'dynamic' aspect ratio almost always results in a distorted image

Hi @CliveC

Further update - I got a response from Hikvision Tech Support and they said they could not see the same issue and to re-install the web plug-in, I logged onto our test system this morning to try this and when I logged into a 5MP camera running the latest firmware (v5.5.83) it was now displaying the aspect ratio button without me having to re-install anything, I assume that it must have been the shutting down and restarting of the computer or clearing of the browser cache that fixed the problem with the update.

Also, the new firmware actually appears to have improved the aspect ration options, there is now an 'original ratio' option which gives the optimal ratio for the cameras lens & sensor, and also the ratio setting will now stay the same when you log in and out.

Hi @Dan thanks for this - I have just tried and it's also working for me now. You might be right about browser cache, as we have seen Hikvision upgrades sometimes scramble the menu until a full refresh of the browser.

Really appreciate you following up with Hikvision on this one.

Back