01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Benefits of upgrading to V4 firmware

Prototype

I have just upgraded the firmware on all my cameras to V5.5.82 build 181211 and I have been considering upgrading my NVR (DS-7616NI-I2 / 16P) firmware from V3.4.96 build 170921 to V4.1.63 build190111 Other than the GUI changes are there any improvements on picture quality or compression? Are there any other reasons why changing to Version 4 would be of benefit?

I have been getting a lot of Illegal login attempts recently which is one reason why I want to update the firmware in case there is a security hole in my current firmware.

I think it is mainly the GUI update/improvements.
Of course, also the ongoing support and development!

The threads from its introduction start here:
New version 4 Firmware for HikVision NVRs

You'll note that it is possible to downgrade back to V3 if you wish/prefer, but:
  • There is no development of that firmware line (V3).
  • You should backup your configuration before updating, in case you revert.

I've upgraded to the V4 firmware and I appear to have a problem when I download footage using iVMS-4200. Before it would export the .mp4 files with a jpg thumbnail and the video would play in Windows Media Player. Now I only get a video file (no thumbnail) and the video will not play, not even in Hikvision's own player which downloads with the video. I have tried it with cameras recording the H265 and H265+ settings. Version iVMS-4200(V2.8.1.4_EN) Any ideas please?

In my opinion V3 was a very stable platform and simple to navigate and used far less resources on the i series recorder.
I reluctantly upgraded to V4 and initially found the layout busy and over complicated to perform a simple task when using the GUI interface.

Recent V4 firmware updates unfortunately created more problems than they solved which resulted in me reverting back several times in order to regain functionality. The V4 GUI has grown on me and is a definite visual improvement over V3 its just a shame that the firmware revisions let it down.

The Firmware Download Portal also is confusing with constant changes to the web structure which makes bookmarking a link category pointless, the sooner Hikvision standardize and keep to the chosen layout the better.

I have traced the problem to the stream encryption. For some reason the IVMS-4200 software is not decrypting the footage when downloading now i'm on V4 on the NVR. I found this by opening it in the Hikvision VSPLAYER and when you open the video file it asked for the encryption password.

I have disabled Stream Encryption on the NVR and the IVMS-4200 client downloads the footage again correctly.

Back