01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Best system for residential property

Trackit2000

Hi, I need to install a 4 or 5 camera system in a detached residential property and would like some help with selection please. I'm looking to mount all cameras around the house on the soffit board which is 5 metres from the ground. The front drive is 16m wide and 16m to the road but really the camera would just need to cover cars parked within 10m, was looking to mount on corner of house covering the drive diagonally A camera each side of house to cover 2m x 10m long side entrance to rear, a camera at rear covering patio area close to house 10m wide, again camera mount on corner of house covering diagonally. Also possibly a doorbell camera if the budget allows but all would need to be off the same app. So a fairly standard setup but need help on selection of hardware:-
  • Which cameras would you recommend to give good clarity day and night and have a microphone, front and rear cameras are probably the most important ones.
  • I've assumed wired but is this the best option?
  • App likes would be to have easy browse through footage, movement notification, possibly with the ability to determine if triggered by a person.
  • Which NVR and hard drive?
  • Would Cat6 cable be best?
  • Would the cameras be better at a lower level, its more work as I would need to route cable under first floor floors and mount cameras on wall but could be an option if the benefits are worth it.
  • Instead of a doorbell what alternatives are there for communicating with delivery drivers etc when no one is home?
  • Budget is flexible but without the doorbell I was looking at £500 to £700 but all down to best options and not over spec'ing with unnecessary gizmo's.
Sorry for the lengthy detail but tried to cover the important bits, many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi @Trackit2000

Below Are my recommendations:

- Cameras: Front Drive - DS-2CD2347G2-LU 4MP ColorVu Fixed Turret (2.8mm) / Sides of the house - DS-2CD2347G2-LU (4mm) / Rear Patio - DS-2CD2347G2-LU (2.8mm)

- You can connect all the cameras directly to the PoE ports on the NVR, but you can also connect the cameras to separate PoE injectors/switches and/or a combination of both depending on what is easiest in terms of cable runs.

- The Hikvision app is Hik-Connect which supports live view, playback, and smart event notification.

- For the NVR we would recommend the DS-7608NI-I2/8P 8-channel NVR and in terms of storage, for 4 x 4MP cameras (with space for potentially a 5th doorbell camera) you would be looking at a 4TB Western Digital Purple HDD for 14-days of continuous recording.

- For a new install Cat6 would definitely be recommended

- we usually recommend installing cameras at around 3-4m high, for covering longer distances mounting at 5m would be ok but for your short 10x10m/15x15m spaces, a lower mounting position would be better to avoid looking straight down at the top of people's heads.

- If you are wanting to communicate with people at the door then a doorbell camera is going to be the best option and the simplest option would be a model like DS-KV6113-WPE1 Video Intercom which can be linked to the Hik-Connect app to receive calls anytime, but the intercom must be connected to the local network using a separate PoE injector as it has to be visible as a separate device on the network so that calls can reach the app.

OK thanks Dan, are the 4mm cameras in stock only I can't seem to be able to add them to the basket?

Hi @Trackit2000

Are you going to the main product page and selecting 4mm from the dropdown? - DS-2CD2347G2-LU

I've just tested it and I was able to add 2 x 4mm to my basket and I've also checked our backend which is showing plenty in stock.

Back