01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Best video bitrate and frame settings

kmb786

Centurion!
Trusted Member
Hi

I have the following system recently installed and when viewing live footage on iphone, everything works perfect on home WiFi (virgin media) but I was getting unstable network connection messages when using my mobile date (Vodafone unlimited max).

After reading old topics on this forum I managed to tweak some setting and I don’t get the message but still sometimes get lags so just wanted to know if the following settings are ok for my cameras as shown in the screenshots taken from my NVR settings. The settings are also similar setup directly on the camera config aswell.

INVR model DS-7604NI-K1 / 4P(B) - firmware V4.30.010 build 200715

5MP Bullet camera model DS-2CD2685G0-IZS - firmware V5.6.2 build 190701

2MP ANPR camera model DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZS - firmware V5.6.10 build 200703

I have turned off the H265+ on both cameras.

The attached screenshots show the mainstream and substream settings for each camera.

Appreciate your advice.

Thank you

Attachments

• Bullet_Mainstream.jpg
    Bullet_Mainstream.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 4,582
  • Bullet_Substream.jpg
    Bullet_Substream.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 2,528
  • ANPR_mainstream.jpg
    ANPR_mainstream.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 1,776
  • ANPR_substream.jpg
    ANPR_substream.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 2,246
Hi @kmb786

Those settings are fine, but there should also not be an issue with running these 2 cameras at max. settings using H.265+ and still getting live view/playback in the Hik-Connect app. Often the reason people are seeing issues on mobile data is because of the way they added the devices to Hik-Connect, did you add the NVR with the IP address/QR code or did you add it with a port forwarded IP address or P2P/Platform access?

I should also point out that the bullet camera you have is actually an 8MP/4K camera and not 5MP, also it is running slightly old firmware so you may want to update that to the latest v5.6.5 firmware

(if the cameras are directly connected to the PoE ports on the NVR you will need to enable Virtual Host to access the cameras directly and update the firmware)

Hi @kmb786

Those settings are fine, but there should also not be an issue with running these 2 cameras at max. settings using H.265+ and still getting live view/playback in the Hik-Connect app. Often the reason people are seeing issues on mobile data is because of the way they added the devices to Hik-Connect, did you add the NVR with the IP address/QR code or did you add it with a port forwarded IP address or P2P/Platform access?

I should also point out that the bullet camera you have is actually an 8MP/4K camera and not 5MP, also it is running slightly old firmware so you may want to update that to the latest v5.6.5 firmware

(if the cameras are directly connected to the PoE ports on the NVR you will need to enable Virtual Host to access the cameras directly and update the firmware)
Hi Dan

Many thanks for your reply.

If I remember correctly the installer turned off h265+ directly on the Anpr camera for some reason so I also turned it off on the NVR setting and I’ve not been getting the network unstable message but still getting few lags when on mobile data.

The NVR was added using the QR code and Virtual Host is enabled.

The NVR is getting change anyway by the installer to DS-7608NI-I2 model as the Anpr is not saving the reg plate images to my current NVR which I have found out on this forum that my NVR does not support Vehicle Detection.

Im also having an extra three 4MP ColorVu cameras installed so hope that the above bitrate settings will be fine.
Thank you

Hi,

Sorry to come back again on this topic - I've been trying out all sorts of settings but still have the same problem with live view lags on my phone.

Basically, viewing live footage using home wifi is fine but when using my iphones mobile data, it is still lagging in the footage and pixilation occurring. If I change the mode from HD to Basic in the Hik-Connect iPhone app then the footage in liveview is fine but then the picture is not that clear so I rather have it on HD mode but then the lags occur.

I have attached the current screenshots of the video setting of my three cameras I have connected to my NVR so can someone please, once again, advise what settings I should really be tweaking to try and get rid of the lags when viewing liveview using mobile data.

Also,

1. Is there any difference in choosing "Higher" or "Medium" for the Mainstream Video Quality as I do not want to loose too much video quality for the recorded footage on the NVR.

2. Resolution - this is currently set to 1920 x 1080P on all cameras as if I choose a higher setting, the the lagging/pixilation gets worse when using mobile data

3. I have updated the Hik-Connection app to the latest version

4. Below is the current models and firmware versions of my system and the NVR will at some point in the next couple of months be replaced with a DS-7608NI-I2 /8P due to the current model not supporting VCA (saving license plate images) to the NVR.

NVR - DS-7604NI-K1 / 4P(B) - V4.30.055 build 201111
ANPR camera - DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZS - V5.6.10 build 200703
8MP Bullet - DS-2CD2685G0-IZS - V5.6.5 build 200316
4MP ColorVu Turret - DS-2CD2347G2-LU - V5.5.134 build 200430

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Thank you

Attachments

• ANPR_Mainstream.png
    ANPR_Mainstream.png
    144.5 KB · Views: 1,676
  • ANPR_Substream.png
    ANPR_Substream.png
    133.1 KB · Views: 943
  • Bullet_Mainstream.png
    Bullet_Mainstream.png
    169.9 KB · Views: 862
  • Bullet_Substream.png
    Bullet_Substream.png
    146.6 KB · Views: 759
  • ColorVu_Mainstream.png
    ColorVu_Mainstream.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 570
  • ColorVu_Substream.png
    ColorVu_Substream.png
    140.8 KB · Views: 1,243
Hi @kmb786

I would recommend that you put the 8MP bullet and 4Mp ColorVu cameras up to H.265+, Highest video quality, and max. resolution. H.265+ massively reduces the bandwidth used by the cameras and the 8MP cameras & ColorVu at night are very bandwidth hungry.

For the Hik-Connect remote streaming issue, I would unbind the NVR from Hik-Connect and re-add the NVR to Hik-Connect by logging into the online Hik-Connect portal and use the NVRs serial number. We have seen before that adding via the QR code does not always work outside your local network as it is not properly connected to the Hik-Connect cloud servers which allow for remote access.

Hi @kmb786

I would recommend that you put the 8MP bullet and 4Mp ColorVu cameras up to H.265+, Highest video quality, and max. resolution. H.265+ massively reduces the bandwidth used by the cameras and the 8MP cameras & ColorVu at night are very bandwidth hungry.

For the Hik-Connect remote streaming issue, I would unbind the NVR from Hik-Connect and re-add the NVR to Hik-Connect by logging into the online Hik-Connect portal and use the NVRs serial number. We have seen before that adding via the QR code does not always work outside your local network as it is not properly connected to the Hik-Connect cloud servers which allow for remote access.
Hi Dan,

Thank you for these recommendations and I will try these out but hope you or anyone else can confirm the following:

1. If I change the 8MP bullet and the 4MP ColorVu to H265+ then would that affect any of the camera features as I read somewhere on here that changing to H265+ might stop some smart event stuff working but I'm not sure if that will affect my setup?

2. In regards to the bit rate threshold figures, I found the following information so hope you can advise which option to go for...

a) The camera spec sheets detail the bandwidth support as follow:

2MP ANPR camera - 32 Kbps to 16 Mbps (16,384 kbps)
8MP Bullet - 32 Kbps to 16 Mbps (16,384 kbps)
4MP ColorVu Turret - 32 Kbps to 8 Mbps (8192 kbps)
NVR - Incoming bandwidth 40 Mbps Outgoing bandwidth 80 Mbps

b) Using the Hikvision bandwidth calculator, it recommends the following max bitrate settings for each of the above cameras @25fps :

2MP ANPR - H265 @ 2048kbps
8MP Bullet - H265+ @ 4096kbps
4MP ColorVu - H265+ @ 2048kbps

Therefore, taking into account the above figures, what max bitrate settings should I set each camera to for the Mainstream setting (for the Substream it only allows a max setting of 2048kbps)

Also, I will be getting an extra two 4MP ColorVu cameras installed in the next couple of months when the installer will also be replacing my NVR with DS7608NI-I2 8/P.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Dan,

Thank you for these recommendations and I will try these out but hope you or anyone else can confirm the following:

1. If I change the 8MP bullet and the 4MP ColorVu to H265+ then would that affect any of the camera features as I read somewhere on here that changing to H265+ might stop some smart event stuff working but I'm not sure if that will affect my setup?

2. In regards to the bit rate threshold figures, I found the following information so hope you can advise which option to go for...

a) The camera spec sheets detail the bandwidth support as follow:

2MP ANPR camera - 32 Kbps to 16 Mbps (16,384 kbps)
8MP Bullet - 32 Kbps to 16 Mbps (16,384 kbps)
4MP ColorVu Turret - 32 Kbps to 8 Mbps (8192 kbps)
NVR - Incoming bandwidth 40 Mbps Outgoing bandwidth 80 Mbps

b) Using the Hikvision bandwidth calculator, it recommends the following max bitrate settings for each of the above cameras @25fps :

2MP ANPR - H265 @ 2048kbps
8MP Bullet - H265+ @ 4096kbps
4MP ColorVu - H265+ @ 2048kbps

Therefore, taking into account the above figures, what max bitrate settings should I set each camera to for the Mainstream setting (for the Substream it only allows a max setting of 2048kbps)

Also, I will be getting an extra two 4MP ColorVu cameras installed in the next couple of months when the installer will also be replacing my NVR with DS7608NI-I2 8/P.

Many thanks in advance.
Hi Dan

Just an update in that I reset the video settings on the Bullet and ColorVu to Default and then changed to use H265+ with “Higher” (not Highest) on both cameras and it set a default max bitrate setting to 10240kbps and 6144kbps respectively. If I then change the Resolution to the max available then I get a lot of lag and unstable network on the Bullet and sometimes on the ColorVu when using mobile data but dropping down to 1080p seems to be much more stable so I have left it to this unless you have anything else for me to try.

Also, I have enable DDNS and installed iVMS 4500 Mobile so will see if this is more stable although on first use the quality is set to Fluent - so is this using the Mainstream? - the other two options are Custom which I can change setting and the other is Clear which it doesn’t seem to let me select/doesn’t do anything.

Would you recommend using Hik-Connect or iVMS 4500 on mobile devices.

thanks

Hi @kmb786

We would not recommend using iVMS-4500, it is old and will not support the full functionality of some of the newer models you have. Stick with Hik-Connect and make sure you have checked the Hikvision App Store for the latest version of the app.

Have you tried unbinding the NVR and re-adding to the Hik-Connect web portal as I described in my earlier post? if using Hik-Connect you should not need to enable DDNS

In answer to your other questions:

1) Yes, H.265+ will limit the smart events you can use, if smart events are crucial you should use H.265 instead.

2) The below table shows you the recommended bitrates for different resolutions/frame rates
h.265 Recommended Bitrate.png

Hi @kmb786

We would not recommend using iVMS-4500, it is old and will not support the full functionality of some of the newer models you have. Stick with Hik-Connect and make sure you have checked the Hikvision App Store for the latest version of the app.

Have you tried unbinding the NVR and re-adding to the Hik-Connect web portal as I described in my earlier post? if using Hik-Connect you should not need to enable DDNS

In answer to your other questions:

1) Yes, H.265+ will limit the smart events you can use, if smart events are crucial you should use H.265 instead.

2) The below table shows you the recommended bitrates for different resolutions/frame rates
View attachment 4976
Hi Dan

Yes I have unbound the NVR and then re-added through web portal using serial number.

I did try the bitrates in the chart but still having issues with lag on mobile data so reset the two cameras and enable h265+ and kept default higher bitrate settings and seems to be behaving bit better.

Also, what are the smart events that are disabled when enabling h265+?

thanks

Please see the below Post (point 2. in the screenshot there), I'm not sure whether the details have changed, but for your camera(s) when you enable h.265+ you should see a similar notification.

Please see the below Post (point 2. in the screenshot there), I'm not sure whether the details have changed, but for your camera(s) when you enable h.265+ you should see a similar notification.

Thanks Phil - I will leave h265+ enabled as I won’t be using the features that are disabled.

thanks very much.

Back