01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Better motion detection.

Skylinedudr

Hi all,

I would greatly appreciate some advice. I know that reolink cameras are not thought of highly but for me they do the job, or at least they did.

I purchased 2 x 410 5mp cameras for front and back of the house. Pictures are very good, day and night. I have been recording 24/7 onto a synology nas drive. Recently I have idiot walk all over my car, when I tried to view the footage I realised it would be hours and hours of viewing. I then changed the camera settings to motion detection, this leaves a lot to be desired. My questions are as follows.

1. Can I get better detection from these cameras?
2. Would adding a good nvr give better detection.
3. Should I just get rid of these and go for another cctv setup

If the answer is 3, then could you recommend a system. Only need 2 cameras (poe), with a view to adding more internal ones by WiFi.

Better stop here as it is already a long post but do have more questions :).

Thank you for any help or info in advanced.

Having tested the PIR detectors on Reolink cameras (wi-fi and POE) I formed the view that they weren't fit for purpose. The POE camera failed to detect my son walking right across its entire field of view while the wi-fi cams are slow/late to detect anything, meaning that recorded motion clips were often useless since the 'intruder' had passed out of range by the time the PIR activated. They are also bad at detecting vehicles and have never once activated a recording when my son's silver SUV has driven past the camera at close range - which he does at least twice a day.

Reolink will have you adjust the camera to maximise the PIR detection; trouble is, the best angle for PIR detection required my cameras to point away from the target area!

I can't answer your NVR question as I don't use one but I doubt that any NVR could fix inherent flaws in the camera's PIR system.

You could try PC-based software - Blue Iris seems popular.

Or maybe a Synology NAS with their built-in Surveillance Station solution.
Two free camera licences included.
They have some fairly advanced motion detection features.

NB for either, check compatibility with your cameras.

And, you may need to disconnect them from the current NVR, attach them to your LAN, power them with POE injectors / a POE switch.

Thank you both for your replies.

I am in fact using a Synology NAS with the surveillance system but it is extremely slow (D418J). Cannot upgrade to the latest versions due to Synology age. To use a software based system I would need to have a home PC, dont have one anymore. Saying that though, if it would allow me to have better motion detection then I have no issue with building one. Would it be better to have a PC, new CCTV system or a NVR? I do not want to spend huge amounts on money though.

I find with the Reolinks that I have, the motion detection is way to sensitive. I have the settings on 20 and the camera pick up passing cars headlights of all things, even picks up my patio set cover flapping in the wind. If I turn the sensitivity down then it picks up nothing at all. I could do a jig in the garden and it still would not detect motion.

Having tested the PIR detectors on Reolink cameras (wi-fi and POE) I formed the view that they weren't fit for purpose. The POE camera failed to detect my son walking right across its entire field of view while the wi-fi cams are slow/late to detect anything, meaning that recorded motion clips were often useless since the 'intruder' had passed out of range by the time the PIR activated. They are also bad at detecting vehicles and have never once activated a recording when my son's silver SUV has driven past the camera at close range - which he does at least twice a day.

Reolink will have you adjust the camera to maximise the PIR detection; trouble is, the best angle for PIR detection required my cameras to point away from the target area!

I can't answer your NVR question as I don't use one but I doubt that any NVR could fix inherent flaws in the camera's PIR system.

You could try PC-based software - Blue Iris seems popular.

Or maybe a Synology NAS with their built-in Surveillance Station solution.
Two free camera licences included.
They have some fairly advanced motion detection features.

NB for either, check compatibility with your cameras.

And, you may need to disconnect them from the current NVR, attach them to your LAN, power them with POE injectors / a POE switch.

Video Motion Detection (VMD) / Analytics is classic 'you get what you pay for' I'm afraid.
The top brands, cost most, and perform best (Axis, Bosch, and Avigilon).
Hikvision have levels of performance, with DeepInView being their best, then AccuSense, then their standard cameras.
Few people are willing to pay for the best models.

VMS software solutions do tend to give you more granularity of how they react to a given scene.
So, software on a PC.
Or "Security Spy" on a Mac if you prefer.

I don't know where your DS418J comes up against limits, but 2018 is not old, and I do like Synology for their evergreen development i.e. the latest versions tend to run well even on older boxes.
The 4 in 418 denotes how many drive bays.
The 18 denotes it is a 2018 model.
J does mean it's from the least powerful range, but two cameras should not prove a challenge.

These Posts are older than your NAS box:

[Tutorial] Using Smart search in Synology surveillance station

Our Synology section with a few more threads here:

Ah, somewhat older - 2010 versus 2018

Yep, that's why I am thinking of changing. Rather than spend x amount on a synology than will only give 2 free licences, it may be more beneficial to explore other options.

The camera makes that you have given, do you have any experience with them, any model numbers then I could look at please?

I'm just leaving the office, gotta dash - realistically I think you'd only buy from this range:

The others mentioned, are likely to be at least £600 +VAT per camera.

I'm just leaving the office, gotta dash - realistically I think you'd only buy from this range:

The others mentioned, are likely to be at least £600 +VAT per camera.

Thanks for that. Will have a look at a couple of Hikvision accusense + NRV but these are now sold to trade only or have a trade account. Any ideas where I can het prices from?

Having tested the PIR detectors on Reolink cameras (wi-fi and POE) I formed the view that they weren't fit for purpose.
I need to update this having just finished testing the 2MP Reolink Lumus wi-fi cam with integral spotlight. I'm not sure what they've changed but the PIR detection is the best I've seen from Reolink; it also automatically filters out most false alarms from insects, birds, etc. I still wouldn't deploy any wi-fi cam in a mission-critical security location but for less critical requirements - like monitoring my cat on the patio - this is an ideal device.

Back