• Hi Guest, Please subscribe to our YouTube channel for fresh new videos each week.

BNC to RJ45 Adapters over Powerline Adapters Issue

jamesmay

Thread starter #1
Hi

I currently have a Hikvision BCN 5mp 8 Channel DVR Setup, I recently bought a pair of BNC to RJ45 Adapters as I plan on using powerline adapters to use one of the cameras on an outdoor shed around 15M from my house.

I can confirm the BNC to RJ45 Adapter works but when using powerline adapters there is no video coming through. Is there a way to make this work. apologies but my knowledge of CCTV systems is not too great.

Thanks

Phil

Administrator
Staff member
Are the BNC to RJ45 adapters simply baluns?
Baluns are effectively just adapters between cable types.
i.e. they allow you to use twisted-pair cable instead of co-ax cable.

Baluns do not produce an IP stream that could be carried via powerline adapters.

jamesmay

Thread starter #3
Are the BNC to RJ45 adapters simply baluns?
Baluns are effectively just adapters between cable types.
i.e. they allow you to use twisted-pair cable instead of co-ax cable.

Baluns do not produce an IP stream that could be carried via powerline adapters.
Hi Phil

Yes they are baluns, these to be specific VIMVIP HD-CVI/TVI/AHD Passive Video Balun with Power: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics, Just thinking what is the alternative I can do.

I need to put 2x cameras on the front of my house however my DVR is atleast 30m away and cannot be relocated without a lot of hassle so wireless would not be good solution, I have no issues with getting power to the front of my house hence why I though powerlines.

Would have any other suggestions?

Phil

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I can't think of any alternatives for analogue cameras.