01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Boat Engine Room

budha7

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so please be gentle with me!

I am looking to fit a couple of cameras to my boat and need your advice. The most important at the moment is the engine room camera.

I have spent far too much time trying to research this, with little knowledge, and really havent got anywhere, until I found this site!
So, if you would be able to help, that would be fantastic!
To my requirements...
I need to be able to connect the camera to 12v (possibly cigerette lighter with USB power adapter?) so that I can keep an eye on the engines while underway. Using 12v would allow the camera to be powered while underway and while connected to 240v.
I need this to be viewed on a tablet, I do not want to hardwire a screen.
I do not have internet access while underway, so I need to be able to view the camera locally via an app. I do not have a router. Apparently, so ive been told, with an IP camera, it can be set as a static IP??? beyond me..
Due to the environment it should be IP rated? although it should never actually get wet!!
I would like to be able to record to an internal SD card for reference should anything untoward happen.
It would be nice if it also had, but not strictly necessary, motion detection and night vision.
This would allow recordings of intruders should anybody try and get into the engine room.
While underway, the engine room lights can be on, so I would have good lighting, however, it is pitch black with the lights off.

Many thanks in advance!!!

Sorry, you will need a wireless router, to create a network on your boat, so that your camera and tablet can join that network.
After that, it'd be plain sailing - Hikvision DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS | 4MP Wireless Mini Dome IP Camera with Microphone
It accepts a memory card, is wireless, can be powered by 12V DC, and has built-in unfra-red to see in the dark.
(probably 2.8mm - approx. 90° fov)

Hi, thank you for the information.
Ok, next problem -
I assume a standard router would require 240v? Which I do not have while underway.
Would a 4g router work? I have access to a Huawei E5577 portable hot spot, which I use as a wifi repeater when in marinas.

As long as the router creates a wi-fi network that you can join with the camera and your tablet, then that will be fine.

Back