01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Bungalow Camera Siting

machineage

Hi all!

So... following a recent security issue I have decided to install some cameras. My bungalow is slightly unusual in that it is sideways on to the road. I've enclosed a drawing which illustrates the general layout. I have highlighted where I thought I may site two cameras, both wall mounted. The first under the eaves facing the entrance to my property, and the second adjacent the rear conservatory door.

I was looking at Hikvision Turret cam's having read the pros & cons of various cameras, and having been warned against stand-alone cameras like Nest, Hive, Ring etc.

Any initial thoughts?

Hi @machineage

We would probably recommend the DS-2CD2385G1-I 8MP Darkfighter Turret

You can either mount these flat to the wall or mount them upside down under the eaves/soffit, because you are covering quite short distances we would recommend the 2.8mm lens option. This model also includes Darkfighter Technology for improved low-light performance.

Thanks Dan :)

Would you say my camera placements are acceptable? There is street lighting which lights up the frontal area reasonably well. I wondered about getting a security light for the rear area. Is there a significant difference with the DS-2CD2385G1-I 8MP Darkfighter Turret compared to the previous 8MP turrets? I couldn't find any reviews on your site for this new turret cam.

Also what NVR would you recommend?

I am Macbook Pro based, how are things with access on Apple's platform? I'm running OSX 10.14.5 and Safari 12.1.

I am also looking to hook the NVR's HDMI output to my TV or AV receiver.

Thanks again :)

Would you say my camera placements are acceptable? There is street lighting which lights up the frontal area reasonably well. I wondered about getting a security light for the rear area. Is there a significant difference with the DS-2CD2385G1-I 8MP Darkfighter Turret compared to the previous 8MP turrets? I couldn't find any reviews on your site for this new turret cam.

Camera positions are fine, if you already have street lights illuminating the scene I wouldn't recommend any extra lighting. The new 2385G1 Turret cameras feature Darkfighter technology for improved low-light performance so this combined with the extra light from the street lights means you should get a nice image at night.

Also what NVR would you recommend?

I am Macbook Pro based, how are things with access on Apple's platform? I'm running OSX 10.14.5 and Safari 12.1.

I am also looking to hook the NVR's HDMI output to my TV or AV receiver.

As a Mac user, we would recommend the DS-7608NI-I2/8P 8-channel PoE NVR

There are smaller NVRs but the I-series NVRs have recently received a firmware update that allows easier access via browsers like Chrome/Firefox/Safari/etc...

This NVR model features 1 x HDMI and 1 x VGA connection so you can quite easily connect a monitor/TV

Back