01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Cam is chabging between black and white

Soren

I have for around two weeks had 5 DS-2CD2142 cameras runnig connected to one DS-7608NI-I2-8P NVR.
have done few experiences on the settings. And configured with all day 24/7 recording it works fine

I have tried setting up motion detection, intrusion detection and line crossing detection (only one of these set as active at the same time). However, for any of them, when active, the camera in night make like a reset, getting total black and then slowly comming back with to a clear picture/view, and then after around 40-60 secs it does this again. Have tried manual IR setting and WDR off, however seems no change.
And strange, that when I have no detection turned on then this dont happens and cam's have a very good view both during days and night and even in changing light conditions during night!

Any advice? As would be nice to have either of 'line crossing' or 'area intrusion' tunred on to have marked on the recording where some activity/to know where to look/search.

Hi Soren,

Could you let me know what firmware version the cameras are running please?

Do you have H.264+ enabled on the cameras?

cams delivered with installed firmware V5.3.3 build 150630 and nvr V3.3.7 build 151102
Yes H.265+ enabled

Last edited:
Hikvision fixed some image flickering bugs and optimised the image quality of the 2x42WD cameras in firmware version v5.3.6 151105.

Could you try upgrading to this firmware version and seeing if that resolves the issue for you?
You can download the firmware from either Hikvision's Overseas Page or from their European Download Portal

Further, as H.264+ uses more processing power, could you try disabling it for a night as a test?

Kieran. I have updated the firmware on the cams to v5.3.6 and on the NVR as well to v3.3.9 as seemed changes on nvr was not sync. to cams. That working now.
And seems already that the cam upgrade has the intended effect on the image flickering.
I keepted H.264+ active on two of the cams and upgrade works with the intended effect as well on cams with h.254+ active.

Thank you for this advice.

Last edited:
What is your advise, keeping H.264+ active or not?
All 5 cams are directly connected into the NVR. Presently I have no disk space issues.
However I guessed (without knowing it at all) that the compression would make the disk work better(less busy) as less incoming data?

Last edited:
Glad to hear it solved the issue for you!

If bandwidth or storage space are going to be an issue, we tend to recommend H.264+ as it does do a good job at reducing the requirements for both.

If it's not causing you any issues currently and you're happy with the image quality with H.264+ enabled, then by all means continue to do so as it will allow you to retain storage for longer.

Back