01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Camera choices

Cadjockeygm

Hi

I'm looking to install an outdoor front facing camera for a typical semi detached house. We have a street lamp almost directly property on the placement, <10M away from Proposed camera position.
I may ultimately get a rear camera too, and possibly a door cam but probably nothing else.

I started looking at Reolink 4K camera but talked myself out of them mainly due to low light concerns. Now looking at HIK DS-2CD2385G Or HIK DS-2CD2347G with ColorVu instead. i don’t really want the build in led light on all night and concerned the street lamp won’t offer enough light? Would I be better with IR only?

Not sure if I need an NVR or whether i‘d get away with connecting only to a Mac. I have a newish Mac mini I7 that runs 247 so I’m think I may get away with using this rather than hardware NVR (With Security Spy) if I do I’d prefer a silent one, does the 7604NI-K1 support the 2385 ?

I feel a bit like I just dropped down a rabbit hole, too many options!

thanks

Rich

Hikvision cameras work fine without an NVR, ie recording to an SD card. I have 8 connected to my iMac and have had zero issues, albeit I have only been recording events. If you want to record continuously, an SD card will fill up more quickly and then start overwriting.

But the problem with Macs is that Hikvision's client software, iVMS-4200 hasn't been fully ported and lacks some of the functionality of the Windows version. And accessing the live view in a web browser is virtually impossible as the web plugin is no longer supported by any Mac browser. (It isn't supported by current Windows browsers either but old versions of Internet Explorer do still work.)

As for scene lighting, you will have to try it out to see whether the street lighting is enough.

Back