01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Camera has stopped working some reason

Ironside

I have got one of those HD IP POE cameras located in a bird box. The camera goes straight into the back of my DVR. I have seven other Hikvision IP POE cameras that are also working with the DVR and they are perfectly okay. However, yesterday, when I switched my PC on and opened iVMS 4200 the camera was down. One of the little circles was greyed out and said the camera was disconnected. I put the camera into another port on the back of the DVR and now none of the little circles are greyed out. There's nothing suggesting the camera disconnected either. However, it's still not working, there's just a grey box. Any idea what could have gone wrong? I'm wondering whether it's just a case that the camera has packed up

We would recommend that you either plug the camera into a separate PoE Switch/Injector or directly into your router and power with a 12v power supply and see if you can see the camera on your local network with SADP. If it is NOT a Hikvision camera you will have to use an IP utility tool from the camera's manufacturer or log directly into the router and see if you can see the device on your router's device list.

If it is not on the network you can try hard resetting the camera, and if after that it still doesn't come up on the network or you can't hard reset then the camera then I would say the camera is likely faulty.

The problem I've got is it's one of those little mini HD IP cameras that fit in a bird box. There may be a reset button on the camera but I can't get to it at the moment because I'm disabled and can't get anyone here to do it. Also, I can't go taking the bird box down because the birds have finished building their nest and there might even be eggs in there at the moment. When I look in iVMS 4200 and go to the camera status there is a zero under connection number and network camera connected. So the DVR is definitely not seeing the camera for some reason.

I will try plugging the camera directly into the network switch to see if it shows up. Having said that, is it better to plug the camera straight into the hub, or is a switch okay?

I understand the difficulty of getting the camera down, if you can disconnect it from the NVR and connect it directly to a router or switch that is connected to the router without bringing the camera down then that should work fine. If the plugging into the router directly you will need to use a 12v power supply because most routers do not provide PoE, and the same may be the case with the switch depending on the make & model as not all switches support PoE.

I have got one of those POE switches that you put the camera into one socket and the local area network cable into the other so I make a there. I've been using IP viewer for the last couple of years to view the camera and a company called Camsecure have hosted the camera for me so I can share it with the public.

So, if I plug the camera directly into the POE switch but it doesn't show up when I go into my router settings, where do I go then?

If you plug the camera into that PoE Switch/Injector and can't see it using IP Viewer or when logged directly into the router then the only other option after that is to try and hard reset the camera which will likely require you to get the camera down, so if you can't get the camera down at the moment you will have to leave the camera offline until you can get the camera down.

2020-04-08 (1).png

As you can see, there is a 0 under network cameras connected when I click on the bird box camera.

One thing that is puzzling is that if I disconnect any of my IP cameras I get a message on the screen saying "not connected", or something that indicates there is no camera plugged into that particular port. However, all I've got is a blank black screen where this IP camera in the bird box is plugged into.

Back