01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Camera positions and lens sizes

milleniumaire

I previously posted requesting some assistance on camera positioning (see here) and today I found time to try positioning both 2.8mm and 4.0mm lens cameras (DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL 4MP) at the front of my house to determine the best position. It's interesting how lens sizes can make a difference as my original thoughts have now changed.

The following photo shows the 4 positions I have tried: A, B, C and X, where X is an optional camera, in addition to the one placed at A, B or C.

20210826_105539.jpg

Originally, my thoughts were to place a 2.8mm lens camera at A and optionally a 4mm lens camera at X, however, the difference between the 2.8mm and 4mm isn't that huge and in fact the 2.8mm when placed high up, captures a lot of wall and/or neighbours garden, depending on how it is pointing.

The following images were captured at points A, B, C and X using both 2.8mm and 4mm cameras:

A (highest point at the right of the house):

A.jpg

The 2.8mm lens (on the left) seems to show a lot more stonework than the 4mm, which is not ideal. Obviously the camera position could be turned to the left, but this would then simply include more of the neighbours house, which is unnecessary. The vertical position is not exact as each camera was held in position (by my wife), so the 4mm if pointed down would capture more of our property then the distance.

Both cameras at this height and position seem to include a lot of the neighbours gardens/house and the street, so I thought I would try lowering the camera to position B:

B

B.jpg

A slightly lower position at 3.5m, possibly better than A at 3.9m? Not really much difference.

My wife then suggested moving the cameras forward i.e. nearer to the driveway, so here's how they look at position C:

C

C.jpg

As expected, the driveway is closer, but the cameras no longer cover the bathroom and office windows as they do in position A (assuming they are directed correctly), so not sure if position C is actually better as it still includes the neighbours and the street, but just not as much!

The next photos are from the optional camera position X on the left of the house, just above the garage. Because the images above don't cover the garage due to the shape of the house, I had considered an additional camera specifically for this purpose:

X

X.jpg

I think the 2.8mm lens gives a better image as it also includes a little of the front porch. Because the camera is positioned above and to the left of the garage, it was angled down and across the drive/garden and this makes the image look as though it is at an angle. Not sure if this can be resolved by better positioning of the camera turret. The right hand 4mm image is worse in this aspect.

I would really appreciate your feedback.

My thoughts are the 4mm camera should be fixed at position A and then optionally, the 2.8mm at position X. This is the opposite to my original plan.

It's interesting that the 4mm camera seems to give a much warmer image than the 2.8mm in all the images. Not sure why this would be!

Last edited:
Hi @milleniumaire

I think your plan of 4mm at A and 2.8mm at X makes sense, as you have suggested tilting the camera at position A down to cut out the sky and some of the street will give you better coverage of the area below the camera and also the turret cameras have 3-axis of adjustment so you should be able to pan, tilt, and rotate the position X camera to get a level image.

In regards to the image colour, this is probably just because the default image settings are often automatic settings which means depending on the amount of light reaching the sensor the image can adjust slightly differently. Once installed you should be able to adjust each camera's image settings to get similar images from both.

Thanks Dan. Useful to know that the image settings can be adjusted as I do prefer the warmer image from the 4mm cameras. Not that it really matters at the end of the day as once the system is installed I suspect I will forget about it until it is required!

Back