01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Cameras for my Genie NVR8

insum

Hello, I have an old Genie NVR8 (this one) and I would like some help in finding some cheap cameras that will work for it. I have no idea where to start as I am a complete noob when it comes to IP cameras, I haven't a clue where to start with compatibility and everything like that.

Recently I bought one of those cheap PTZ cameras on eBAY that you connect to your mobile phone and discovered that I couldn't connect that to the NVR so I sent it back but I can't find a camera on eBay that doesn't look like it will be another one of those same mobile phone jobs. I have an old Panasonic BL-C131 IP camera set up and running on it but id like some outdoor wifi cameras with night vision too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've taken a quick look.
It looks like a standard NVR (not inherently wireless).
Therefore, you'd need to add wi-fi cameras to your router's wireless network.
As you have added your Panasonic BL-C camera I guess it allows you to manually add/configure cameras on the network.
So, I think you should me able to add any IP camera (up to the stated 5MP).

Probably the eBay type you have tried are effectively closed system App-driven devices.

Thank you, Phil.

The camera I bought from eBay had some sort of mobile phone app you needed to be able to change the settings on it and stored captures to a micro sd card that I had to put inside it as well as cloud storage which it tried getting me to sign up for.

Trying the camera local IP address in the browser just gave the 'page can not be displayed' message you'd usually see when typing in an address wrong. Iv looked all over Amazon and eBay but I can't work out if the cheaper cameras on there will end up being the same type of thing or not.

Back