01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Can I add a Colorvu camera to HiWatch NVR setup?

mace_786

Hi there,

I'm new to CCTV here and have come across this forum. Firstly got to thank the team and use-ip for the help and assistance they provide - I've learnt more about cctv here today than I ever knew!

A year or so ago, I purchased my first IP cctv kit. I didn't know there was a difference between Hikvision and HiWatch until reading this forum. As a first time customer, I looked at megapixels, poe and number of ports. The system I have is:

Recorder - NVR-108-A/8P - FW 3.4.91 170630
Cameras - IPC-B140 - FW 5.4.5 170921
Hik Connect App on iOS is great.

I've had them recording motion since I've had them and they've been really good. Recently, I've looked at potential upgrades to my system. There doesn't appear to be a FW update available for my nvr. Hikvision have a 5.5.116 200603 update available for the cameras, assuming B140 and B140H are the same. Want to do some reading on the upgrade process before I try it.

I've been looking at Colorvu cameras (impressive) and am considering buying one with a built in mic to add audio to my system. The Hikvision DS-2CD2047G2-LU seems to fit perfectly. A few questions for you more experienced:

- What do you think of the DS-2CD2047G2-LU? I'm assuming I just connect it like any other POE device but turn on the audio settings?
- Do you foresee any compatibility issues with the colorvue camera and the NVR? I'd aim to turn off the led light but my nvr doesn't seem to have the enable Virtual Host option. I think it is crazy that the nvr GUI, web interface of the nvr and web interface of the camera all have access to different settings. Before now, I set up the NVR assuming this had all configuration options on it.
- Is there an option for me to set up the camera on the LAN, save it's configuration and then move it to NVR with the saved config? Virtual Host should really be on by default in all nvr's imo!!

Thanks in advance - any experience or advice you can share would be appreciated.

Mace

Solution
- What do you think of the DS-2CD2047G2-LU? I'm assuming I just connect it like any other POE device but turn on the audio settings?
- Do you foresee any compatibility issues with the colorvue camera and the NVR? I'd aim to turn off the led light but my nvr doesn't seem to have the enable Virtual Host option. I think it is crazy that the nvr GUI, web interface of the nvr and web interface of the camera all have access to different settings. Before now, I set up the NVR assuming this had all configuration options on it.
- Is there an option for me to set up the camera on the LAN, save it's configuration and then move it to NVR with the saved config? Virtual Host should really be on by default in all nvr's imo!!

Thanks in advance -...
Hi, It's hard for us to know whether you will experience any compatibility issues with HiWatch, simply because we don't have any (have never used it).
The G2 ColorVu cameras are very impressive.
You're welcome to take advantage of our Buy & Try offer and see how you get on.

Upvote 0

Thanks in advance - any experience or advice you can share would be appreciated.

Mace

I have connected a ColorVu DS-2CD2347G2-LU to my HiLook NVR (which is just a rebranded HiWatch NVR).
It worked Via plug and Play in that the camera is instantly recognised and activated.
The colour image is very impressive in low light without the on board LED lit. (It appears the light level needs to be almost pitch black before it switches on)

There seems to be some compatibility issues in that I cannot activate the mic even though there appears to be an option to in the NVR's GUI, although I am not too concerned about that, and no ability to adjust brightness of or turn off the LED light *.
The smart event features are also available but the Acusense features are not fully accessible *.
This I am more concerned about as it was the AcuSense features I was more interested in.

The NVR GUI has Virtual Host which I have enabled, but for some reason I still cannot access the camera GUI directly. This may, or may not, be another compatibility issue as the camera login refuses to accept the NVR password even though it was activated via Plug and Play.**

Hope this helps.

EDIT:
* Once logged into the camera via Virtual Host, you get access to the white light settings, you also get better control of the 'smart event' and 'AcuSense' features.
** Virtual Host works fine, the issue experienced was a password glitch which was resolved.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Solution
I have connected a ColorVu DS-2CD2047G2-LU to my HiLook NVR (which is just a rebranded HiWatch NVR).
It works Via plug and Play in that the camera is instantly recognised and activated.
The colour image is very impressive in low light without the on board LED lit. (It appears the light level needs to be almost pitch black before it switches on)

There seems to be some compatibility issues in that I cannot activate the mic even though there appears to be an option to in the NVR's GUI, although I am not too concerned about that, and no ability to adjust brightness of or turn off the LED light.
The smart event features are also available but the Acusense features are not fully accessible.
This I am more concerned about as it was the AcuSense features I was more interested in.

The NVR GUI has Virtual Host which I have enabled, but for some reason I still cannot access the camera GUI directly. This may, or may not, be another compatibility issue as the camera login refuses to accept the NVR password even though it was activated via Plug and Play.

Hope this helps.
Hi Ianc

That is really useful, really appreciate the time you’ve taken to write your experience. Adding audio to my setup was one of the main reasons for me to buy this camera.

Can I just ask what model nvr you have please? The one I have doesn’t have the virtual host feature.

Recently I’ve been wondering whether I could install the camera onto my lan (connect to router via poe switch), log into it via browser and save a config to the camera to control the leds. Unsure if that would work and guess that wouldn’t help resolve the audio issue.

With thanks,

Mace

Upvote 0
Hi @Mace

I have the NVR-104MH-C which has the option to enable 'virtual host' by navigating to 'Network > Advanced Settings' and clicking on the 'Other' tab.
I'm questioning whether this actually works though and I have started another thread to discuss it.

It would be beneficial to be able to log into the camera's GUI and get access to the white light settings amongst others.

There is a firmware update for my 'C' series NVR on the HikVision download portal but I can't see anything for the 'A' series which is what I assume yours to be?

Upvote 0
Hi @ Ianc,

Apologies for the delay - I had a ColorVu DS-2CD2047G2-LU to try today (later than expected) and have been playing with it to see what I can find.

Firstly - I visited your other thread and noticed you got into the camera via virtual host. Big win there - I really miss this feature on the 'A' series, should really be a default option. I have also checked the portal and can't find any fw for it.

My findings were very similar to yours in initial testing. I have the ColorVu DS-2CD2047G2 connected to my NVR-108-A/8P. I cannot adjust the brightness or turn off the LED light (I wish I could just turn it off). I have access to Line Crossing and Intrusion Detection (not yet tested, but I assume it works as the option is there). On my other non ColorVu cameras, the Line/Intrusion settings say 'The camera does not support the function'. No Acusense features as you mention.

I did manage to activate the mic however, so in case it helps you:-

In the web gui - Configuration -> Video/Audio -> Video tab -> Select Channel for ColorVu camera ->

Select Main Stream
Change Video Stream setting to Video & Audio -> Save
Select Sub Stream
Change Video Stream setting to Video & Audio -> Save
Note that the camera reboots when you change this setting, so you need to wait till it is back online before you do this for the sub stream.

The gotcha:

Go to Configuration -> Storage tab -> Schedule Settings -> Select Channel for ColorVu camera -> Click Advanced - Tick Record Audio -> OK and Save.

These steps for settings were for my A series NVR. Hope that this helps you/others if they are trying to enable audio. The mic sensitivity seems to be really low by default, but again - can't change the setting. It is a brilliant camera - I just wish I could turn off the LED or only have it turn on for 30 seconds, on an event trigger. In the next few days, I'm going to try connect the camera to a DS-7608NI-K2 to see how it works on a better NVR. Will post the results in case it helps...

Mace

Upvote 0
Hi again @mace_786

Thanks for the info about activating the mic, especially the 'gotcha' :) will try that out next.

You really need to log into the camera directly to access the white light settings, you get the options to turn it on/off, adjust max brightness, set to auto adjust to ambient light conditions. You also get better control of the 'smart event' and 'AcuSense' features.

White light on by event triggering is 'imminent' possibly in v5.5.160

Upvote 0
Back