01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Can I connect 2 PoE Switches Directly to my DS-7732NXI-I4/S NVR and Run it as a Closed-Loop System that is Not Connected to my Local Network?

Eggshell82

hi everyone
I am fairly new to installing ip cameras so just need any advice you can give please.
a quick break down on what i have and how i can set it up

DS-7732NXI-I4/S NVR​

2 x 8ways switches = HIKVISION DS-3E1309P-EI
16 x 4mp color vu cams=HIKVISION DS-2CD2347G2-LU

there is no internet access and i don't need it just yet i only want to record locally with alarm events,
so can i just plug the 2 switches in back of the nvr and put 1 at 1 end of the build with 8 cameras connected and the other at the other end then connect the other 8 cameras, all the equipment will be new out of the boxes.
please if any1 can just give me a quick drawing or a plan i will really appreciate it.

Hikvision PTZ cameras
Hi @Eggshell82

Unfortunately, with this particular NVR model, you won't be able to directly connect the PoE switches to the NVR and run it as a closed-loop system with no network connection.

If it was an NVR model with a built-in PoE switch it may have been possible to connect the switches to the PoE ports and extend the NVRs PoE ports/channels to those remote switches, but the network ports on the non-PoE NVR you have are purely LAN ports for connecting the NVR to your local network/router and won't work if you connect the PoE switches to them.

Hi @Eggshell82

Unfortunately, with this particular NVR model, you won't be able to directly connect the PoE switches to the NVR and run it as a closed-loop system with no network connection.

If it was an NVR model with a built-in PoE switch it may have been possible to connect the switches to the PoE ports and extend the NVRs PoE ports/channels to those remote switches, but the network ports on the non-PoE NVR you have are purely LAN ports for connecting the NVR to your local network/router and won't work if you connect the PoE switches to them.
hi thanks for the information i will have to replace the nvr then, what nvr would you advise i should get please, like i said there is 16 cams going on at the moment but would like the option for a few more in the future(no more than another 4 if ever we did add more)

Last edited:
Hi @Eggshell82

There's no reason it shouldn't work, it's no different to adding a camera via the LAN - any NVR even with a single network port could be set up that way (but an additional 4 port switch would be needed at the NVR to link to both the local and remote PoE switches to allow the full 16 cameras (as daisy chaining the switches would utilise one of the 8 ports on the first PoE switch).

The network interface and all cameras would be configured manually as there will be no DHCP server available. That model has 2 network interfaces and usually one would go to the LAN and the other to a PoE switch. The two interfaces would need to be on separate subnets as I doubt the NVR would permit them to be on the same. Example:

Network interface 1 - IP address 192.168.100.1 - connect to uplink port of PoE switch 1 (cameras 1 - 8)
Camera 1 - 8 IP addresses configured manually to 192.168.100.101 - 192.168.100.108

Network interface 2 - IP address 192.168.200.1 - connect to uplink port of PoE switch 2 (cameras 9 - 16)
Camera 9 - 16 IP addresses configured manually to 192.168.200.109 - 192.168.200.116

All cameras would be programmed and activated using SADP or browser first, before the switches and cameras were connected to the NVR.

Last edited:
There's no reason it shouldn't work, it's no different to adding a camera via the LAN - any NVR even with a single network port could be set up that way (but an additional 4 port switch would be needed at the NVR to link to both the local and remote PoE switches to allow the full 16 cameras (as daisy chaining the switches would utilise one of the 8 ports on the first PoE switch).

The network interface and all cameras would be configured manually as there will be no DHCP server available. That model has 2 network interfaces and usually one would go to the LAN and the other to a PoE switch. The two interfaces would need to be on separate subnets as I doubt the NVR would permit them to be on the same. Example:

Network interface 1 - IP address 192.168.100.1 - connect to uplink port of PoE switch 1 (cameras 1 - 8)
Camera 1 - 8 IP addresses configured manually to 192.168.100.101 - 192.168.100.108

Network interface 2 - IP address 192.168.200.1 - connect to uplink port of PoE switch 2 (cameras 9 - 16)
Camera 9 - 16 IP addresses configured manually to 192.168.200.109 - 192.168.200.116

All cameras would be programmed and activated using SADP or browser first, before the switches and cameras were connected to the NVR.
thanks JB1970 that is defiantly helpful, just out of interest would i be able to just use 1 LAN port out of nvr to a 8 way switch then link that to another 8 way switch then cameras to both switches, would this be a little easier do you think

thanks JB1970 that is defiantly helpful, just out of interest would i be able to just use 1 LAN port out of nvr to a 8 way switch then link that to another 8 way switch then cameras to both switches, would this be a little easier do you think
Yes that should work fine - just keep all the IP addresses in the same range as whatever you set on the NVR - eg Cameras 1 - 16 192.168.100.101 - 192.168.100.116. I only said to do it the other way as you mentioned 16 cameras and linking switch 1 to switch 2 will cost you a port on switch 1 so you'd be limited to 15 cameras if using 8 port switches.

Yes that should work fine - just keep all the IP addresses in the same range as whatever you set on the NVR - eg Cameras 1 - 16 192.168.100.101 - 192.168.100.116. I only said to do it the other way as you mentioned 16 cameras and linking switch 1 to switch 2 will cost you a port on switch 1 so you'd be limited to 15 cameras if using 8 port switches.
Thanks your a star and yes i have just looked at the switches now and they do only have 1 uplink port so i would have to use both the LAN ports on the NVR. i just didn't want to confuse myself and thought it would be easy if i went 192.168.100.101-116 but if i just stick to the way you have explained to me i think i should be able to do that? well hopefully i can ha ha
once again thanks you really have helped me there

Back