01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

can I replace my hikvision ds-7204hghi-sh

dude68

Hello there.

I recently purchased a house which had this device and 3 exterior cameras, the previous owner told me, he would leave it installed including the TV that is plugged into it and all I would need, would be scan the QR codes on cameras on the app and I would get full acess.

Well, when I moved in, I could't find the manual, couldn't find any QR codes on the cameras, googled for information and apparently this suposed to have a remote control, a cd and a mouse, which I have none, all this do is watch live-video, since I have no access to it's memory/options.

So I contacted hikvision directly asking if they could sell me the remote control and the cd for this device or if not possible if they could recomend me a new hikvision device I could just "swap" in order for this work properly, where they forwared my e-mail twice and 2 months later stil no feedback, contacted the hikvisions resellers on my country (4) about this and also no feedback, so I tried all the local CCTV shops on my area, only one felt interested come here to see the instalation in order to just replace the "box" and keep the cameras but until now also no feedback, when I was about to just give up and just buy a full new system I came across this forum, so hope someone be able help me out.

Well, I'm clueless about this, first time I own a CCTV, all I know is, this thing is connected to 3 outside cameras, each using a RJ45 cable, when reach the device the cable wires are split in half, where half connect to the plug and the other half to a AC adaptor.

My plan is to keep the same cameras, just replace the "box", so any recomendation which HIk Vision (or other brand, since Im open to any brand) I could use to just replace the device, without need replace the current camera cables?

thank you.

On the underside of most Hikvision cameras there should be a sticker with model/serial info and possibly a QR code. If not, try get the model number of the cameras from the DVR to help with upgrade recommendations. It's not uncommon to use UTP cable for analogue installations with balun connectors. The DS-7204hghi-sh does support IP cameras to a degree but by the way you described the splitting of the wires I suspect they may be analogue.

Hello there.

Thank you for your reply, I wasn't home yesterday, so wasn't able to provide further information, so today I went with a ladder and took some photos, maybe they show more information than I was able to provide before.

Camera - I have 3 of those cameras (the actual system supports up to 4 at the moment)

camera1.jpg

Camera - Information, I see no QR code on it, just that basic information
camera1_info.jpg

Camera 1- cable-guide-box (sorry, dont know the word in english for this) connectors, camera has black cable that has 3 "exits", 1 is unused, the other 2 are connected somehow to an adapter and than to a R45

camera1_connections.jpg

Box back panel where the RJ 45 seams to be re-converted back with some adaptors to a power plug and the connector
box_connections.jpg

So is this able to provide the necessary information you requested, in order we find how/what I have at the moment, to be able to replace/upgrade my system ?

thank you.

The DS-7204HGH-SH is a late 2014 Turbo HD DVR. The cameras are analogue 720p OEM's (possibly made under license of Hikvision) connected via Cat5 Ethernet cable.

Just to clarify, RJ45 is a type of connector used with Ethernet cable, not the cable itself.
1575313971511.png

Typically analogue systems use RG59 or Siamese cable to connect cameras but it's not uncommon (as in your case) to use Ethernet cable for convenience/cost saving. The adapters you mention are the Baluns.

Upgrading your DVR with a more recent Hikvision Turbo HD Value series is an option and should allow you to keep your existing cameras, provided you have some technical know-how. However, I highly recommend you consider upgrading to IP cameras and a NVR as they offer a wealth of features typically not available to analogue systems.

thank you, in a small post you provided me so much information.

The reason I'm avoiding replace the cameras is just one, I have 2 easy-access cameras, but the 3rd one is almost unaccessable at the moment, and replace it would be extremly hard, I believe it was installed before they did changes on the propriety since they increased a roof, and with that at the moment there is no where to place a ladder to reach it.

I went compare the DVR vs NVR videos/guides and for my current needs, I belive the DVR might be enough, they are used in a purpose to, desencourage people to rob my house, since I have warnings about video recording and these cameras at night also have a red glowing light ring around it, and picture quality itself isnt awsome I admit, but is good enough to see whats/who are captured on it.

So, since you belive a recent HD Value will work with my current cameras, I found this one: Hinkvision DS-7104HQHI-K1 on my country for around 66€, which is a decent prize (I think), so I'm planing buy it, and if I understood your links, this one seams compatible with my current cameras, so is just a matter of plug them on it and configure the device afterwards, correct?

thank you.

It should work, but I can't say with any certainty you will be able to simply plug your existing cameras into the new DVR and they will work.

For example, some analogue cameras have a connector with a push button that cycles through the signal settings. TVI/AHD/CVI/CVBS. Check if your cameras have this switch (it's usually a separate cable with a button). If not, you may struggle to connect the cameras to the new DVR.

Even if the switch is present, it's hard to tell how long the toggle switch needs to be pressed to cycle through the settings. My point is, you may run into complications and find support is limited for your OEM cameras. It's also possible they will connect without any hassles. It's hard to say.

If possible, get a quote from a local CCTV company and see what they recommend. They should provide a quote free of charge.

Back