01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Can I use Hikvision's iVMS-4200 to view my NVR on a TV?

Newtothis

Can i use ivms 4200 to view my cameras and nothing else.

I have my cameras connected to NVR and everything is working/recording how i want it but I want to view the cameras in another part of the house on a tv where i can't run any cables. If i install ivms 4200 on a mini pc without the storage server part, Would this be fine to use to only view the cameras? I don't want ivms recording events/motion when the NVR already does that. I would also like to leave it running, so not having to sign in every time.

Last edited:
Hikvision PTZ cameras
If you only want to view the cameras and use basic playback, a cheaper option might be to use an Android box, the sort of thing people use to watch IPTV streams. You can just put iVMS 4500 or Hik Connect on that as you would on your phone.

Another alternative is to use a splitter on the HDMI output of the NVR and feed one side to a HDMI modulator. If you insert that modulator in your aerial cable you can just have your CCTV on a spare TV channel - I usea Technomate unit for this.

If you only want to view the cameras and use basic playback, a cheaper option might be to use an Android box, the sort of thing people use to watch IPTV streams. You can just put iVMS 4500 or Hik Connect on that as you would on your phone.

Another alternative is to use a splitter on the HDMI output of the NVR and feed one side to a HDMI modulator. If you insert that modulator in your aerial cable you can just have your CCTV on a spare TV channel - I usea Technomate unit for this.
Thanks for the reply. I cant really run cables to this part of the house and wanted something i can just leave running so i can just switch tv input and the live view would already be there to view. I looked at wireless HDMI but it was a bit pricey for somthing the reviews said worked best without walls in between. At the minute im looking at streaming the live view with VLC.

Thanks for the reply. I cant really run cables to this part of the house and wanted something i can just leave running so i can just switch tv input and the live view would already be there to view. I looked at wireless HDMI but it was a bit pricey for somthing the reviews said worked best without walls in between. At the minute im looking at streaming the live view with VLC.
You can leave the app running on an Android box with iVMS or Hik Connect as I mentioned. I use an old iPad as a bedside CCTV monitor and have left it displaying the camera for weeks on end without needing to restart the stream (that's on WiFi - the Android box will have the benefit of a wired network connection). Viewing with the Android box you'll also be able to get the multiscreen view which I don't think you'll be able to do with VLC - you would have to use iVMS 4200 as you first mentioned.

You can leave the app running on an Android box with iVMS or Hik Connect as I mentioned. I use an old iPad as a bedside CCTV monitor and have left it displaying the camera for weeks on end without needing to restart the stream (that's on WiFi - the Android box will have the benefit of a wired network connection). Viewing with the Android box you'll also be able to get the multiscreen view which I don't think you'll be able to do with VLC - you would have to use iVMS 4200 as you first mentioned.
That is good to know about being able to leave the stream going. I wouldn't mind buying a nvidia shield or similar because It could always be used for something else too. I got the multiscreen view on VLC using channel zero but the resolution is very low. It looks alot worse than even the sub stream so just trying to find a solution for that.

Back