01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Cannot store motion detected video

Tim Powys-Lybbe

I have a new Hikvision DS-2CD2623G0-IZS linked to a Mac computer and all on a network with two Synology servers (in two different locations as additional security).

The purpose of this camera is principally to see if there are any four legged or two legged animal attacking the fish in my wife's pond.

Initially I set this camera up using Synology's own Surveillance program which definitely got it working and will detect if large animals, humans, come near the pond and record videos of this. But it will not record smaller predators from herons through pigeons to a known marauding fox.

So I have been trying out Hikvision's own two programs: (1) V1.02.05.02-iVMS-4200.app and (2) their IP portal by just entering the camera's IP address into the Safari browser. Both facilities will display the camera image with good quality and in day and night with the IR facility. But neither will save any motion videos for future analysis - none, zilch, completely absent.

I have been trying to save the videos to one of the Synology NAS boxes. This is directly accessible from the IP program and I append an screen shot of the window with the file name of <Safari_web_page.png>. But nothing happens as a result, nothing is recorded in any of these folders on the NAS server.

The VMS program does not have the same configuration option. It lacks the 'Local' option that is visible on the Safari browser, as you can see in the file <VME_configuration.png>. There is also an option to set up storage to a NAS but this does not see my NAS at all.

Can anyone help in getting either of the two Hikvision programs to store Motion videos, please?

Tim

Attachments

• Safari_web_page.png
    Safari_web_page.png
    566.8 KB · Views: 323
  • VME_configuration.png
    VME_configuration.png
    269.6 KB · Views: 260
Sorry, been really busy.

Synology's VMD setup is actually quite advanced, you'll find a link in this thread to a video on VMD setup and optimisation:
Advanced intruder detection of Hikvision and Synology

There's another thread in this forum on setting your Hikvision cameras to work with Synology, with an attachment / walk-through:
How to connect a Hikvision camera to a Synology NAS
Thanks for both of those. The first one, the Synology training video is very good and included one or two items I need to follow up. I hope they update this when Synology's Suveillance Client is fully updated to release 8.2 - the beta of 8.2 already shows quite a few advantages.

The second item is more complex but does seem to be addressing precisely the problem I raised. The thing I must explore first is the apparent recommendation that the whole NAS has to be reformatted and it will then only link to one camera. If true, that is not was Network Assist Servers are about, they should be able to serve a few clients. Watch this space!

Finally I did get an alert that this reply had been made, but the alert I had set was only within the forum, so I missed it. How do I get this alert to e-mail me?

Sorry, been really busy.

Synology's VMD setup is actually quite advanced, you'll find a link in this thread to a video on VMD setup and optimisation:
Advanced intruder detection of Hikvision and Synology

There's another thread in this forum on setting your Hikvision cameras to work with Synology, with an attachment / walk-through:
How to connect a Hikvision camera to a Synology NAS
(This is my second reply after an hour or three of trials.)

I have tried to use the guidance by Hikvision in the second link above. This clearly sets out how to use a Synology NAS server as the storage for a Hikvision camera. What I downloaded was the very useful document "Quick Start Guide of Hikvision IP Camera & Synology NAS Connection v1.1".

The documents gives two methods of connecting. First by using NFS file system. But this requires one to reformat the whole server and destroys everything else on it. My NAS server has 6 TBytes of storage and this is a bit of a waste on one camera! But it does look like I could have done this and used the Synology server as the storage for the camera; fortunately I did not press the Format button and then I deleted the 'Shared Folder'.

So I went on to try the second option, that of using CIFS to store video date, etc on the Synology NAS. This allows one to store multiple items on the server including all my existing data. I could make a Shared Folder on the Synology NAS which could be seen from the Hikvision camera as shown in the appended image <NAS_Server_visible_from_Hikvision_PlugIn.png>. I think this compares well with the image on page 11 of Hikvision's Guide. You should note that the images show a different layout as mine are from my Mac and Hikvision's are from a Windows machine; I also suspect I have a later version of the Safari plug-in that talks to the Hikvision camera over the local network, not to mention also a later version of the camera software.

But I was not able to complete the instruction at the foot of page 11 and on page 12. See the appended image <Cannot_link_NAS_server_to_Hikvision_camera.png>.

My questions now are:

1. What have I done wrong that causes the failure to link the camera to the NAS server?

2. If I had got the link right, what would the Format button have done? Would it have reformatted the whole NAS server?

All further help gratefully received.

Tim Powys-Lybbe

Attachments

• Cannot_link_NAS_server_to_Hikvision_camera.png
    Cannot_link_NAS_server_to_Hikvision_camera.png
    367 KB · Views: 246
  • NAS_Server_visible_from_Hikvision_PlugIn.png
    NAS_Server_visible_from_Hikvision_PlugIn.png
    333.2 KB · Views: 281
Back