01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Firmware Cannot upgrade the firmware on my brand new DS-2CD2386G2-IU?

sentinel

Good morning to all,

I just received my new DS-2CD2386G2-IU IP camera and before I connect it to the NVR I thought of logging into its web interface and upgrade the firmware. I downloaded the latest version from the European website at DS-2CD2386G2-I(U)

The version provided on the website is

Firmware_V5.7.1_211009
https://www.hikvision.com/europe/pr...EasyIP-/ds-2cd2386g2-i-u-/#download-agreement
The camera came with an earlier version of v5.5.131_200220.

Every effort to upgrade it stops with the message "the type of upgrade file mismatches"

I downloaded the file again, I extracted it in different locations, C:\ root included, tried several times, rebooted the camera, but always with the SAME RESULT. I found on the web some other branch website of Hikvision in the Netherlands, I downloaded the firmware from there too. Same result. I know that every region has different firmware so I stuck with European websites to be correct.

I know that some people have seen it happening again on the web, but I tried most of their solutions and always got the same result. I am not one of those that say "if it's working don't touch it!", NO! The firmware HAS to be upgraded if the manufacturer says so, this is a security camera after all and this is not an acceptable way of dealing with the technical stuff for me.

Any ideas or suggestions? This is crazy, it's something that should not be happening to a manufacturer like this.

Thanks for reading

Good morning to all,

I just received my new DS-2CD2386G2-IU IP camera and before I connect it to the NVR I thought of logging into its web interface and upgrade the firmware. I downloaded the latest version from the European website at DS-2CD2386G2-I(U)

The version provided on the website is

Firmware_V5.7.1_211009
DS-2CD2386G2-I(U)
The camera came with an earlier version of v5.5.131_200220.

Every effort to upgrade it stops with the message "the type of upgrade file mismatches"

I downloaded the file again, I extracted it in different locations, C:\ root included, tried several times, rebooted the camera, but always with the SAME RESULT. I found on the web some other branch website of Hikvision in the Netherlands, I downloaded the firmware from there too. Same result. I know that every region has different firmware so I stuck with European websites to be correct.

I know that some people have seen it happening again on the web, but I tried most of their solutions and always got the same result. I am not one of those that say "if it's working don't touch it!", NO! The firmware HAS to be upgraded if the manufacturer says so, this is a security camera after all and this is not an acceptable way of dealing with the technical stuff for me.

Any ideas or suggestions? This is crazy, it's something that should not be happening to a manufacturer like this.

Thanks for reading
You're likely trying to put G5 platform firmware on a G3 platform camera or vice versa. The new models have the same part number but use different firmware. Two ways you can check. As you just got the camera check the labels on the box. If to the right of the part number there's a small C then it'll be a G5, otherwise it's a G3. The other way is to check in the cameras menu via web browser at the bottom of the page where you're trying to update the firmware "Firmware Version Property" will have a G3 or G5 within it.

Edit: I believe you have a G3 camera as 5.5.131 was never available for G5 (it jumped straight from 5.5.114 to 5.5.800)

Yes, I see your point. What a mess Hikvision has created...they don't even have some kind of advisory to explain these things to potential buyers, in a nutshell! Thank God for this forum here, I have found valuable information on the matter of IP cams.

I looked into other threads and found this firmware here from the UK site of Hikvision, I think this is the latest for my camera which is NOT the newer G5 but the G3 without the (C) at the end of the model number.

https://www.hikvisioneurope.com/eu/portal/?dir=portal/Technical Materials/00 Network Camera/00 Product Firmware/G3 platform(2XX6G2 3XX6G2 2XX7G2 2XX6G0)/DS-2CD2XX6G2,2XX7G2 Models/V5.5.800 build210628

The store I got the camera from didn't even know those details and they were not aware of the existence of the (C) model. If I knew I would never buy it now, I would wait a while to get the C variant because of the extra 5 fps it provides at full 4K resolution. And yes, IT IS a big deal if you have 5 fps more at that resolution, I have seen the difference at a friend of mine with a respective Dahua model and it rocks!
I guess I was just unlucky but I also blame HikVision for the lack of adequate information. They COULD put a small banner on their website for the C variant that depicts it's a newer model and that it supersedes the non-C one...these details define the decisions we make and those cams don't come cheap, I paid EUR 186.5 (GBP 157.45) here in Greece for it. Anyway, I don't want to be whining about it, what's done is done....
thanks for your help JB1970!

Last edited:
Yes, I see your point. What a mess Hikvision has created...they don't even have some kind of advisory to explain these things to potential buyers, in a nutshell! Thank God for this forum here, I have found valuable information on the matter of IP cams.

I looked into other threads and found this firmware here from the UK site of Hikvision, I think this is the latest for my camera which is NOT the newer G5 but the G3 without the (C) at the end of the model number.

https://www.hikvisioneurope.com/eu/portal/?dir=portal/Technical Materials/00 Network Camera/00 Product Firmware/G3 platform(2XX6G2 3XX6G2 2XX7G2 2XX6G0)/DS-2CD2XX6G2,2XX7G2 Models/V5.5.800 build210628

The store I got the camera from didn't even know those details and they were not aware of the existence of the (C) model. If I knew I would never buy it now, I would wait a while to get the C variant because of the extra 5 fps it provides at full 4K resolution. And yes, IT IS a big deal if you have 5 fps more at that resolution, I have seen the difference at a friend of mine with a respective Dahua model and it rocks!
I guess I was just unlucky but I also blame HikVision for the lack of adequate information. They COULD put a small banner on their website for the C variant that depicts it's a newer model and that it supersedes the non-C one...these details define the decisions we make and those cams don't come cheap, I paid 187 EUR here in Greece for it. Anyway, I don't want to be whining about it, what's done is done....
thanks for your help JB1970!
You're correct - the 5.5.800 is the latest firmware for your model. It's a very good camera, I have a few of them on my system and to be honest I'd not get concerned about it not being the C version. I'm an installer and I certainly won't be replacing mine with that newer version. I believe from what I've read here and elsewhere, that the reason for the C version may have been the global chip shortage.

HI,
just got a DS-2CD2387G2-LU Colorvu 4K

Camera came with firmware V5.5.801 Build 210727.

Wanting to trigger the Led lights on motion detection, however In linkage this option doesn’t show up.

I've tried to downgrade and get the red x and says The type of upgrade file mismatches.
I believe this is the G5, has its got the C on the box . is it possible to downgrade with the G5

HI,
just got a DS-2CD2387G2-LU Colorvu 4K

Camera came with firmware V5.5.801 Build 210727.

Wanting to trigger the Led lights on motion detection, however In linkage this option doesn’t show up.

I've tried to downgrade and get the red x and says The type of upgrade file mismatches.
I believe this is the G5, has its got the C on the box . is it possible to downgrade with the G5
If it's 5.5.801 it's the G5 (G3 version is/was 5.5.800) In fact that model you have (the 4K version) is new and was never produced as a G3. I have managed to downgrade before (several times with the NVRs) but I did read a post where someone else was also getting errors when trying to downgrade a camera so perhaps the ability has been removed.

If it's 5.5.801 it's the G5 (G3 version is/was 5.5.800) In fact that model you have (the 4K version) is new and was never produced as a G3. I have managed to downgrade before (several times with the NVRs) but I did read a post where someone else was also getting errors when trying to downgrade a camera so perhaps the ability has been removed.
Strangely, the Hikvision Portal for the UK lists 5.5.801 as valid for G3 cameras here. The "upload date" to the portal is 2022-01-19, which makes me wonder if they backported it to the G3, but I'd have assumed a different build number if that happened.

Strangely, the Hikvision Portal for the UK lists 5.5.801 as valid for G3 cameras here.
Yes, as you say, that wasn't available until Jan 19th. My post above using that 5.5.800 as confirmation of a G3 model was made in late October when that was the case. "Firmware Version Property" in the camera system settings menu should always be used to confirm firmware platform version if unsure.

So, should we go ahead and download/install the 5.5.801 firmware for the G3? If it's in the download area for the G3, it makes common sense that it will work for the G3 model too.

So, should we go ahead and download/install the 5.5.801 firmware for the G3? If it's in the download area for the G3, it makes common sense that it will work for the G3 model too.
Yes - so long as you choose the file from the G3 folder in the portal it's fine.

I'd imagine the white light linkage is still a no go on 5.5.801?
Well actually it is there, yes. A bit strange as I don't think it was in the G5 version of that .801 firmware, for the G5 you had to wait for the "special" build of 5.7.2. Hikvisions ability to confuse continues.

Here is a screen shot from my only remaining G3 ColorVu (DS-2CD2347G2-LU) showing that it is available:

Screenshot 2022-03-21 at 17.46.51.png

Back