01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Can't connect remotely (even via IE browser at home)

gilders

Hi,
I have had my cameras up and running for almost a year, without issue.
I have not changed my router, or any of it's settings.
A few weeks ago I noticed I was not getting a connection on IVMS, even after restarting the app. So I went to use the browser and that was also showing "Can't reach this page - Make sure the web address http://192.168.0.20 is correct"
I checked all the settings directly on the NVR via a monitor and all was correct. I did eventually resolve the issue by unplugging the router and plugging back in a few minutes later.

Last night I had the same issue and as I was away from the router I just rebooted it remotely and this seemed to fix the issue. But this morning there was no access again. Rebooting didn't work and this time, even unplugging router has not worked.

Has my router developed a fault, or is there something else that may be causing this issue?

Can you browse to it when on a PC on the same network?

Hi Phil.
Thanks for replying.

Firstly, I've solved the problem, but I'm 99% sure it's a temporary fix. But it might help in the diagnosis of the issue.

I removed the ethernet cable from the back of the router (the one from the NVR) and reset it. Problem solved, but I think this is resolving the problem in the same way as when I previously rebooted/unplugged the router. Therefore, I expect to lose the ability to connect to the NVR in the near future.

Do you have any idea what the problem is, or is it best I reply when/if the problem reoccurs?

Hi again Phil (or anyone who can help).

As expected, the problem reappeared after 5 days.
My temporary fix worked again (unplugging and replugging cable from nvr to router), but I really need a permanent solution especially as I won't be able to do this when away from home.
I mainly bought this system so that when I'm in bed and hear a noise outside, I can check the cameras instead of getting out of bed. I also don't receive alerts until I've unplugged the ether net cable and plugged it back in.

Just thought I'd bump this thread in the hope someone might be able to help, as issue is still occurring.

How is the IP address on your NVR (192.168.0.20) set? Is it:

A: Set as static IP address on the NVR with the NVR DHCP setting disabled
B: Set as DHCP on the NVR
C: Set as DHCP on the NVR with a DHCP reservation set for the NVR in the router settings

Ideally it should be as A - static. If it's as B, the address can change so it's not ideal. C overcomes that, by ensuring that although the NVR is set to receive the address automatically, the router always assigns the NVR the address you've reserved for it. However, DHCP, even with a reserved address in the router, can occasionally be problematic. If the DHCP process fails (in scenarios B or C), the NVR will auto assign a non routable address (169.254.xxx.xxx). I've seen this occur on numerous occasions.

So if you do have the NVR IP address set by DHCP, change it to a static one.

Edit: I just thought of another possibility....If the NVR IS set with a static address of 192.168.0.20 and that address falls within the routers DHCP pool (range of addresses that it assigns to devices when they broadcast a request for an IP), you could get a scenario where the router assigns 192.168.0.20 to another device on your network such as a mobile phone or any other device that gets its address by DHCP. When you have two devices with the same IP, you won't be able to connect. As the router assigns addresses from its DHCP pool in numerical order, you could easily get a conflict like that. Rather than edit the DHCP pool size (which you can in the router settings) its easier to just set a high enough address in the NVR that you won't get a conflict. I usually use 192.168.xxx.250.

Last edited:
@JB1970 Thanks a lot for replying.

I've checked my settings (via browser) and it looks like I have set up A.
I'll give your idea of changing the address to 192.168.0.250

Thanks again

@JB1970 Thanks a lot for replying.

I've checked my settings (via browser) and it looks like I have set up A.
I'll give your idea of changing the address to 192.168.0.250

Thanks again
No problem. The start and end address range that the DHCP pool covers depends on the router. For instance, I think a Virgin Media hub by default is set to start at 192.168.0.2 and goes all the way to 192.168.0.254 (although this can be changed - most people would never bother). So if you used .20 as a static address in that instance, you only need 18 different network devices connecting before you have a potential clash looming.

:mad: I'm still having the same issue. I don't think it is anything to do with how it is set up, so I guess it's faulty equipment.
I guess I'll have to start be replacing router.

If anyone has any suggestions before I spend money on a new router (that may be perfectly fine anyway), please reply.

:mad: I'm still having the same issue. I don't think it is anything to do with how it is set up, so I guess it's faulty equipment.
I guess I'll have to start be replacing router.

If anyone has any suggestions before I spend money on a new router (that may be perfectly fine anyway), please reply.
before buying a new router do a router factory reset.
What model router do you use and has the firmware been recently updated?

I'll read through the posts and see if I can suggest anything.

Thanks @David router is a NOW TV Hub2. I still have a Sky SR102 which I could try.
As mentioned in first post it had been running without issue for a long time, so I'm pretty certain it's nothing to do with settings, but I'm open to any possibilities.
I have previously reset the router via browser, via reset button and by unplugging. Is there a 4th way of resetting the router?
The router is supposed to receive automatic firmware updates (mine is 2.90.2471.R). There is no history of when updates had occurred, so there's a chance that an auto firmware update has started causing my problems :confused:

Thanks @David router is a NOW TV Hub2. I still have a Sky SR102 which I could try.
As mentioned in first post it had been running without issue for a long time, so I'm pretty certain it's nothing to do with settings, but I'm open to any possibilities.
I have previously reset the router via browser, via reset button and by unplugging. Is there a 4th way of resetting the router?
The router is supposed to receive automatic firmware updates (mine is 2.90.2471.R). There is no history of when updates had occurred, so there's a chance that an auto firmware update has started causing my problems :confused:
If your NVR is still using a static IP address with DHCP client disabled then reactivate NVR DHCP and use the router DHCP reservation table to assign the fixed IP. It is best practice to let the router DHCP server assign and control IP addresses on your LAN, it is possible your router is forgetting your NVR and remembering it when you unplug / plug the ethernet cable.

router is forgetting your NVR and remembering it when you unplug / plug the ethernet cable.
That's exactly what seems to be happening.
I'll try your suggestion of letting router assign IP address.
The only issue with that that I can think of is whenever I try to access the NVR via browser, I won't immediately know the IP address it's been assigned.
But if it overcomes the need for unplugging and re-plugging the cable from the NVR to router, it will be worth it as I receive no alerts or the ability to view any footage when I don't have direct physical access to my router, i.e. when I'm away from home.
Thank you.

The only issue with that that I can think of is whenever I try to access the NVR via browser, I won't immediately know the IP address it's been assigned.
That is why you add the NVR IP address to the router DHCP server reservation table (IP address MAC binding). Once set your router will always issue the same IP address to the NVR. All you need is the MAC address of the NVR WAN / LAN interface and tell the router to always assign a specific IP address to it. My CCTV setup has fixed IP addresses assigned by the router DHCP server via the DHCP reservation table.

Thanks @David sounds like the perfect solution!
I hope so. After enabling DHCP on the NVR reboot it, I'd also reboot the router to clear the DHCP cache and ARP table.
On the router you should see the NVR as a connected device and its IP address. On the same line there may also be an option to select it and add it as a fixed IP.

What is the DHCP lease time on your router?
Is your router in a domestic setting?

Router is in a domestic setting.
I checked lease time using ipconfig, which showed -
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 14 August 2021 04:07:26
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 August 2021 11:48:46

Router is in a domestic setting.
I checked lease time using ipconfig, which showed -
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 14 August 2021 04:07:26
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 August 2021 11:48:46
roughly 3 days 7 hours, do you know if you can change it on your router? It may be under advanced settings, LAN, DHCP server lease time. Usually set in minutes. If you can change it to 10,080 minutes (7 days).

Can't find a way of changing lease time.
Thanks again for all your help.

Back