01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

CATV 5 Cable

Mark Hurst

Hi,
I am due to install an Hikvision PoE IP Camera system. I asked the Network guys at work if they had some spare cable and they gave me a coil of normal looking CATV5 stranded cable.
They also gave me a coil of CAT5 cable that is double screened and the cores are solid copper.
Does it matter what type I use? The stranded looks easier to terminate.
Kind regards Mark

Hi Mark,

If you're going to be using any PTZ cameras, you'd definitely want to use stranded core wires as they're more flexible, and a solid core is likely to break under constant pan/tilt pressure.

If you think any cameras are going to be in a fixed position, you can use solid core as it's typically a little cheaper, but in all honesty it won't make too much of a difference. Most people tend to go for stranded copper if only because it does offer greater flexibility and is easier to rout.

Hi Mark,

If you're going to be using any PTZ cameras, you'd definitely want to use stranded core wires as they're more flexible, and a solid core is likely to break under constant pan/tilt pressure.

If you think any cameras are going to be in a fixed position, you can use solid core as it's typically a little cheaper, but in all honesty it won't make too much of a difference. Most people tend to go for stranded copper if only because it does offer greater flexibility and is easier to rout.
Hi Kieran, they are fixed cameras but thanks for reply, I will use the stranded. Cheers Mark

Back