01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

CCTV for cattle shed

Father Ted

Hello,

I'm planning to install camera system in order to view animals in a shed when they are calving/lambing/ill.

I'm unsure how to set it up in the shed. Is it better to have multiple fixed cameras or a single PTZ which can cover most of the shed? I estimate that using fixed cameras I would require 4 - 5 cameras. For the PTZ to be useful I would need to mount it on a bracket to suspend it down off a roof beam seam that it can pan and zoom into area of interest - although i expect there to be some blind spots requiring an additional 1/2 cameras for complete coverage (if really required). These will primarily be viewed via mobile phone so a good compatible android app is essential.

On top of this I would like to add some security cameras for the sheds. Here I have no ideas as to what I require. - although for these ones I would like high resolution and excellent night vision. These would be the only ones which I would require to have recording.

In terms of installation, I intend to pull an exterior spec Cat5e copper cable from the house to the shed feeding into a PoE switch which then distributes around all the cameras. In the house I'd have a NVR with a CCTV spec HDD. For the external security cameras, if I could obtain them in a discreet colour (green would be ideal to blend in).

I also have two sheds at separate locations which I would like to install some security cameras. These sites have no electricity or internet connection onsite. I intend to use leisure batteries charged by a generator (when it is in use) and topped up by a solar panel. Do I keep these two setups separate from the home installation?

What should I be looking at in terms of camera spec for the home shed for both the calving and the security cameras at home? The calving camera needs to be clear and have a microphone as the ability to hear the animals is necessary. however, there is the inclination to over spec, so advice appreciated. Any brands to avoid or focus on?

I also need to ensure that everything links up together so all advice appreciated before I start purchasing.

I think you'd find Hikvision turret cameras suitable for most of your requirements:
Turret IP CCTV Cameras ¦ use-IP Ltd

Higher resolution for security.
Lower res/cost for calving etc.
Some have built-in microphones.
White, black and grey variants available.

Connect those that you wish to record to an NVR:
Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2-8P 8 Channel Network Video Recorder
That NVR can power them via the data cable using POE.

If you need more detail in the shed, you might like to add a PTZ:
Hikvision PTZ Cameras | Hikvision CCTV Security cameras from UK Supplier ¦ use-IP Ltd

One App to monitor them all.
Easy setup for remote (off-site) access.
The App called Hik-Connect is downloaded from here:

Back