01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

CCTV in catering trailer

gazawee

Hi,

I'd need to install CCTV in my catering trailer to capture everything during hours of operation (10-4, Tue - Sat) between staff and customers.

Want the footage to be captured locally but I should be able to view everything remotely (live and recorded)..again during trading hours.

Fine for the system to power off when we close but that shouldn't require us to reconfigure anything when we reconnect power the following day.

I tow the trailer to and from the pitch each trading day. There is a lockable power box containing 32amp supply which I connect in to besides the pitch. For internet access, I could either get an internet line installed to the power box cabinet and install a regular router there, or, I could use a router through my mobile phone suppliers (4G) network . That way the router could be left in the cabinet with some sort of hard drive connected directly to it. Wireless battery powered IP cameras in the trailer could than send footage to the router when we are at the pitch.

Is this possible or is there a better way?

SD cards in the cameras themselves aren't ideal for me as they are not reliable and easily removed and wiped by those working the trailer.

@gazawee for stable remote access I would use a 4G router with a dual external omnidirectional antenna. For remote playback / monitoring view the substream only until you understand the quality of the 4G connection.

@gazawee for stable remote access I would use a 4G router with a dual external omnidirectional antenna. For remote playback / monitoring view the substream only until you understand the quality of the 4G connection.
Thanks David. I literally know nothing about this stuff so when you say view 'substream' I'm confuzzled. Looked up those omnidirectional dual external antenas and they seem to cost serious bucks.

In the context of a couple of cameras connected to an NVR (wirelessly or via cable) connected to a router modem (wirelessly or via cable)

Do you know if NVR's and router modems need re-configuring each time power is re-established?

Where a wireless set-up is utilised..i.e wireless cameras connecting to a DVR box a few meters away, and then from the NVR wirelessly to a modem router..and then through the 4g network. Where would be the potential for bottlenecks or reduction in footage quality (framerate and or number of pixels)

I once used a cheap NEOS camera that was advertised as having HD footage and was pretty disappointed at the footage quality. Could not tell any different between quality when I switched SD to HD on the same camera. Think it was something to do with how the footage is encoded/compressed to be sent over the internet!

I literally know nothing about this stuff so when you say view 'substream'
for video quality sub stream = SD. Main stream = HD

Looked up those omnidirectional dual external antenas and they seem to cost serious bucks.
prices do vary, in the end that antenna determines how stable your 4G connection is to the local cellular network. If you are going to be reliant on that connection then go for a quality antenna. if you're happy to accept a potentially unstable connection with dropouts use the cheaper alternative. Antennas are often neglected during system design. If your pitch is in an area with good cellular coverage you may be ok, I would still go for an external antenna.

In the context of a couple of cameras connected to an NVR (wirelessly or via cable) connected to a router modem (wirelessly or via cable)
Where possible I would always use a cable connection between NVR, PoE IP cameras and 4G router modem.

Do you know if NVR's and router modems need re-configuring each time power is re-established?
once setup and working reconfiguration is not necessary. For the NVR I would try to shut it down properly to protect the internal hard disc.

Where a wireless set-up is utilised..i.e wireless cameras connecting to a DVR box a few meters away, and then from the NVR wirelessly to a modem router..and then through the 4g network. Where would be the potential for bottlenecks or reduction in footage quality (framerate and or number of pixels)
Try to use cable, use wireless as a last resort. The wireless network itself could be a potential bottleneck, all your customers will have smartphones that could interfere with your wireless network.
If you use an external antenna the 4G connection should be stable but all those smartphones around you may be connected to the same tower, all sharing the same data bandwidth. Remote viewing is best using SD mode, unless you have enough data bandwidth to view in HD.

I once used a cheap NEOS camera that was advertised as having HD footage and was pretty disappointed at the footage quality. Could not tell any different between quality when I switched SD to HD on the same camera. Think it was something to do with how the footage is encoded/compressed to be sent over the internet!
There are many variables that could've caused this.

I assume this is your business and you need a cctv setup, the key here is do you really need remote access and or 4G / internet connectivity?

for video quality sub stream = SD. Main stream = HD

prices do vary, in the end that antenna determines how stable your 4G connection is to the local cellular network. If you are going to be reliant on that connection then go for a quality antenna. if you're happy to accept a potentially unstable connection with dropouts use the cheaper alternative. Antennas are often neglected during system design. If your pitch is in an area with good cellular coverage you may be ok, I would still go for an external antenna.

Where possible I would always use a cable connection between NVR, PoE IP cameras and 4G router modem.

once setup and working reconfiguration is not necessary. For the NVR I would try to shut it down properly to protect the internal hard disc.

Try to use cable, use wireless as a last resort. The wireless network itself could be a potential bottleneck, all your customers will have smartphones that could interfere with your wireless network.
If you use an external antenna the 4G connection should be stable but all those smartphones around you may be connected to the same tower, all sharing the same data bandwidth. Remote viewing is best using SD mode, unless you have enough data bandwidth to view in HD.

There are many variables that could've caused this.

I assume this is your business and you need a cctv setup, the key here is do you really need remote access and or 4G / internet connectivity?
Thank you so much David. This is all very helpful.

"once setup and working reconfiguration is not necessary. For the NVR I would try to shut it down properly to protect the internal hard disc."
I suppose I assumed they must need power to maintain their settings. I guess they must have some sort of small internal battery for that like many mobile phones. When yous ay shut down properly though, guessing you mean literally turn the device off rather than having it happen by cutting the power.

About the remote access. I envisage it being something we do no more than 3-4 times a day for 10-20 seconds at a time just to make sure everything is okay. I.E servers not overrun and needing help. So maybe a flaky connection wouldn't be such a problem. Subjects will be the servers and customer stood at the hatch being served..so everything would be within 3 meters of the camera. (probably need a wide angle cam for that)

I guess they must have some sort of small internal battery for that like many mobile phones.
the software and configuration are stored without the need for battery.

When yous ay shut down properly though, guessing you mean literally turn the device off rather than having it happen by cutting the power.
it would be better to shut the NVR down properly, that way the hard disc is stopped. You could just switch the power off, most hard drives can handle the errors.

I envisage it being something we do no more than 3-4 times a day for 10-20 seconds at a time
Another thought is to setup the NVR / camera to email you a picture every 20 minutes or so.

so everything would be within 3 meters of the camera. (probably need a wide angle cam for that)
maybe a 2.8mm focal length lens would do, a fisheye lens is a bit distorted.

Thanks for all the info. It's been really helpful. Thinking to go for a Reolink system. 8ch NVR and a couple of 5MP cameras (can't imagine needing a 4k with everything being up so close and because its all about recording for later playback of any incidents rather than motion detection)

Back