• Hi Guest, Please subscribe to our YouTube channel for fresh new videos each week.

CCTV in the home

REB

Thread starter #1
If I wanted to install a CCTV system in my home, what would I need, and how much should I budget for? If someone was moving around outside my property, or broke in, I would want it recorded. Please could you let me know what you would recommend to provide the minimun, but useful protection. Thanks.

Phil

Administrator
Staff member
IP CCTV is great for home solutions, and can prove far more cost-effective than purchasing a dedicated CCTV DVR and analogue cameras, as there's every chance that you will already have a PC (and possibly a home network) that you can utilise.

All you need to add is the cameras:

• Be pragmatic; don't start out on day one with a scheme to cover every imagined possibility
  • Choose an approach bottleneck e.g.:
    • the front gate
    • the front path
    • a path to the side of the house
    • a rear entrance gate
    • a gap in the hedge
  • You'll want 24hr cover, so consider lighting.
  • You don't need to light the world, a bulkhead lamp or small (150W max) TH lamp will be more than adequate for domestic situations.
  • The Axis 211 is a great camera for outdoor applications, as are any of the Avigilon models (1 or 2 megapixels will probably be more than adequate for a relatively small domestic field of view). The Axis 211 is supplied with a lens. You will need to choose a separate lens to provide your chosen field of view with an Avigilon camera.
  • Then select a camera housing to suit your mounting position.
  • For simplicity of installation use a single network cable with Power Over Ethernet to power-up the camera and connect the video feed onto your network.
And for the recording software:

• If you use Avigilon cameras, you'll need their software. Its lossless recording capability, in conjunction with any of their megapixel cameras, will deliver fantastic recorded image detail.
  • If you choose Axis cameras, then the Icode iCatcher Console software delivers a really feature-rich solution in a very cost-effective package.
Budget wise you're looking at a first camera cost from about £600, which will include the recording software. And about £500 for subsequent cameras (+VAT). Indoor cameras are significantly cheaper.