01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

CCTV system help

Little_Lee_Lee

Hi all.

I am looking for some CCTV recommendations for a typical semi detached house.

Would like atleast 4 cameras (2 front 2 rear) but if possible an 8 channel recorder to allow for future expansion.

Adequate street / house lighting at front for decent night footage. Starlight / colourvu etc would be a bonus to add some night colour to the footage.

The driveway is roughly 7m wide by 10m long.
The garden is rounghly 7m wide by 40m long.

Ideally wanting decent quality footage that could actually identify someone (assuming face not covered).

I would also like access to footage by smartphone.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi there,

Hikvision typically offer the most cost-effective solution due to their hold on the market.

ColorVu cameras could be an option provided street lighting levels are above 0.02 lux, anything below this will trigger the camera's built-in floodlight to turn on. Alternatively, you could look at the more popular Darkfighter or AcuSense ranges. Darkfighters will give a colour image in low-light (though, not one as good as a ColourVu's), but will use IR to create a monochrome image when required.

For any camera that's to be mounted lower than 2.5 metres, so those covering shorter-distances and normally on entrances, we recommend Mini Domes as they are the most vandalproof, have a 10 metre IR range and only come in a 2.8mm focal length. All of these features are suited to creating the best image over smaller spaces. They can also come with an optional built-in microphone. You could get away with mounting one of these on your entrance and also using it to cover the rest of your driveway. These level detail these give (e.g. in faces) will improve as the subject gets closer to the camera, so if you wanted maximum detail at the end of the driveway, you'd maybe want a second camera with a longer 4mm focal length, mounted higher.

Our most popular Mini Dome is the Hikvision DS-2CD2545FWD-IS.

For anything to be mounted higher and covering a space longer than 10m, Turrets are the new go-to due to the benefits that come with having a flat-face, such as allowing rain to run straight off, preventing spider-webs obstructing the lens, and reducing the glare that can be caused by a protective glass dome. The general consensus is that these are more discreet and aesthetically appealing than the older-style bullets.

There a couple of models from the new Acusese range that now have a 50m IR range, which would be suited to your garden as others tend to max out at 30m:

Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-I 8MP AcuSense Turret Network Camera
Hikvision DS-2CD2346G1-I AcuSense 4MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera

The ColorVu Turret is also a good option and should perform well at both the front and back of the house:

Hikvision DS-2CD2347G1-LU 4MP ColorVu Fixed Turret Network Camera

This guide looks at the different benefits and suitable uses for each style of camera nicely, as well as explaining the fundamentals needed when building an IP CCTV system: IP CCTV Buyers Guide

You may also find reading this short article useful: HikVision - Top Thirty Tips

So, I'd probably look at having:
  • A Mini Dome on each entrance (I'm guessing front and back)
  • An optional additional turret on the front if you want the extra coverage
  • A turret with a 4mm/6mm focal length in the back garden in addition to the Mini Dome.
For a recorder, we always recommend the Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2-8P 8 Channel Network Video Recorder, as it runs the latest GUI which comes with more features, and is the only 8-channel recorder that will continue to receive firmware updates.

These articles compare the 8-channel options:

Which is the Best Hikvision NVR for 8 Cameras?

HikVision NVRs - should I purchase a -I or a -K suffix NVR?

You'll also need to install hard drives to the recorder as storage space, we recommend the Western Digital Purple HDD, as explained in the above buyer's guide.

Once you have a better idea of cameras, this will guide help you to determine the size of the hard drive that you'll need: How do I use Western Digital’s Storage Calculator to identify how much storage space I’ll need for my CCTV system?

Back