01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Changing Camera Resolution Query

Shotgun Bri

Hi All,

I have a two Hikvision 4K turrent cameras which I need to reduce the resolution from 4K to 1080p (for a short period).
When I alter the 2.8mm camera it updates as expected but when I alter the 4.0mm camera it appears to change the focal length. I'm not sure to what (maybe 6.0mm) but it's effectively zoomed in so I loose some important visibility (a door in this case).
I have compared the settings between both cameras and they are identical so was hoping for some assistance and clarification on what might be happening and if it's fixable.

Thank you
Brian

I guess that in changing the resolution you are also changing the aspect ratio; effectively making it a wider or a taller view, thereby excluding the door from the view. Although, some cameras may 'crop' the image when you downsize.

You do have some aspect ratio selection options at the bottom left of the Live View screen that might help:

1549917212288.png

I'm wondering why you need to drop the resolution?

I have a different HiKvision camera, but I have also seen what you describe. It’s as if some resolutions zoom in a bit.
If you are familiar with broadcast devices this camera will seem to be doing something ‘different’ for lack of a better answer!!
I saved pics of each of 4 resolutions this camera can do, and they all seemed identical in pixels, but different zoom rate.
For a while I saved at 2560. But it would only do a max of 20 FPS. I finally also returned to 1920x1080, because that would do 30fps, and I was capturing video off the stream anyway.......

Back