01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Choosing based on app use

Mgillet

Hi guys

First post on here, some great info. I have read up on guides that has helped with fov, resolution and all the various pro n cons to different designs. The problem i am having is picking something that has a good android app and a reliable browser.

I know hikvision would be the ideal choice but, seems even reviews on that are hit and miss? Did they fix the dns problem?

I will be looking at 4-8 cameras 4mp upwards but i am not too struck on that at the moment, i do have a desktop pc so i can view on that. I know some browsers have trouble with the activex plugins etc. I currently have a hyperflex nvr, but the android app is shocking!

I have looked at yale, swann too and even those are notorius for app issues.

One other question. Whats the chances of the hikvision 7608ni working with hyperflex poe cameras if the ports/stream were manually configured? Onvif compatable

Im boggled!

Welll, I do known what you mean about reviews but I guess you have to remember that for one issue reported on here there are probably 100+? working fine with no issues.

My opinion after reading many reviews is that its rare for an issue to be down to the kit or software (though there are some bugs that need fixing and hence why manufacturers bring out new versions of firmware, etc. Usually issues are down to user configuration or connectivity. I realise, others may have a different opinion based on their experience.

I was new to all this IP camera stuff a year ago so know where you are coming from. Originally I purchased a DS 7068 NI E2 8P with 3 x DSC2342WD I cameras, primarily because of budget. They were okay but after a short while I got the 7068 K2 8P now connected to 4 x 2343GOs and 1 x 2365G1.

For my purposes my kit now works well on the latest V3 firmware though I will be upgrading to V4 once it appears to be a stable upgrade from posts on here.

I also use Android version of HIK Connect on a Samsung S7 and an S2 Tab. The main issue for me was getting the settings correct on the NVR and making sure I had a good and stable connection to my router, so now its hardwired.

I get notifications from all cameras for Intruder and Line Crossing and though it was a bit of a faff to get the sensitivity and other settings right I now get notifications for what I want to without issues. The only major issue that I had with HIK connect was reported here;

Hikvision "Device is Offline"

I haven't had any experience of note with using IVMS or a browser to view and manage the CCTV, probably becuase I prefer to do it on the NVR though I realise that the NVR GUI doesn't show all the settings that the camera GUI has.

I suppose in a nutshell though my post is a bit of a ramble and might not be of much use from a tech point of view, I hope you were able to get from it that my experience as a novice with Hikvision products was and continues to be predomonantly positive and not one of frustration and regret.

Hope yours works out good for you if you decide to go with it.

Mate if im honest i really apreciate the feedback.

I think your spot on in terms of reviews. Theres so much bad reviews posted that will be down to lack of knoledge on fitment, software etc. Not saying bugs arnt a problem. I guess i was looking for someone such as yourself in terms of actually using the app.

I am not one that relys on wifi connections and always go the wired route if i can so i get what your saying, wifi dropouts wont be an issue here.

I am not asking for something easy to install or setup, as i do have a background in computers so i can always research problems or find answers but rather looking for something that actually 'works'.

So based on that, shall i just say hikvision it is?

I will keep you guys posted

Back