01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

choosing CCTV software for home

David Norman

Hey, guys! Just wondering if anyone has a video surveillance at home and if you did it yourself or did you turn to any special security company? I’m actually going to do it myself, so now I’m trying to choose the software for my CCTV. Read so much about DIY surveillance systems already, and now choosing between Xeoma and Zoneminder…Or maybe you strongly recommend anything else? Thanks in advance!

Hi David,

Many home CCTV systems you can do yourself without to much trouble, all you need to know is a general idea about computers and networks and you are handy with a drill, screw driver and climbing ladders.

Just a few questions, if you could answer them please:

Do you already have the cameras? if so what cameras are you using? if not, what cameras were you looking to purchase?
What sort of quality were you looking to record at? 1mp, 2mp, 3mp, 5mp ect ?
What frame rate? 3fps, 10fps, 15fps, 25fps 30fps ect?
I havn't heard of the two softwares that you have mentioned above , but have you checked there compatibility?

Also using software like these two means you will have to have a pc/laptop running 24/7 which isn't usually suggested as not 100% reliable and you will use alot of the computers storage. These sort of software would be best suited to a rack mount server.

Have you thought of buying a dedicated NVR to do your recordings?

Hope this helps

Harri

Hey, guys! Just wondering if anyone has a video surveillance at home and if you did it yourself or did you turn to any special security company? I’m actually going to do it myself, so now I’m trying to choose the software for my CCTV. Read so much about DIY surveillance systems already, and now choosing between Xeoma and Zoneminder…Or maybe you strongly recommend anything else? Thanks in advance!

I'm using Xeoma too. I think this could be a smart choice for you as well.

I have heard that these software synchronize well with IP cameras. I have also heard about iSPY.
You can install it by yourself but see to it that the CCTV camera provides you a great resolution. If not then install an IR illuminator with it. It will help you with better picture quality.

See the advantages of installing an CCTV cameras.
Check this

If it is possible for you, make sure that the software and the Camera manufacturers are the same. Most IP Cameras come with a basic viewing/recording software.

I have used Vivotek in the past and the cameras are very reliable. The software is quite power and free for up to 30+ Cameras.

I also use iSPY connect on my pc. I've done quite a few set ups for other people as well as my own. My cameras consist of Foscam and android cameras, the android cameras are much easier to set up, much cheaper, more stable and reliable and you can get them anywhere.

Paul.

I also wanted to get one for our home since I have a toddler and also for security purposes as well. As long as you have the idea on how to set without any help you can get from a more skilled worker and is knowledgeable enough when it comes to computer, networks, etc. Is Xeoma already wireless and wifi ready?

Hi David,

Many home CCTV systems you can do yourself without to much trouble, all you need to know is a general idea about computers and networks and you are handy with a drill, screw driver and climbing ladders.

Just a few questions, if you could answer them please:

Do you already have the cameras? if so what cameras are you using? if not, what cameras were you looking to purchase?
What sort of quality were you looking to record at? 1mp, 2mp, 3mp, 5mp ect ?
What frame rate? 3fps, 10fps, 15fps, 25fps 30fps ect?
I havn't heard of the two softwares that you have mentioned above , but have you checked there compatibility?

Also using software like these two means you will have to have a pc/laptop running 24/7 which isn't usually suggested as not 100% reliable and you will use alot of the computers storage. These sort of software would be best suited to a rack mount server.

Have you thought of buying a dedicated NVR to do your recordings?

Hope this helps

Harri
Hi I am trying to work out the same thing. I have many hardrives in and on my network and want to work out if I can avoid using an nvr. I’ve just bought a Hikvision turret camera to play around with first.
I’ve got it up and running and tend to have my Mac mini running all the time. I’ve been quoted £135 for the nvr which is a bit steep for a 4 camera setup.
Thanks
Dave

Back