01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Clients router replaced now no connection to Hik DS-7208HUHI-K2/P - connection via 4G fine. Firmware up to date

Sp0ngeBob

I fitted the above system some weeks ago, worked fine, clients router was changed to a Draytek and now remote access is not possible via any broadband router although connection via 4G remains fine. The clients IT company suggest its a problem with the Firewall at the remote end? This particular client has his CCTV monitored 24/7 and they cant log in either unless via a 4G router.

The firmware is v4.20.001 build 190430

UPNP is turned off.

Apparently Hikvision havent heard of this issue before?!

Any of you guys had a similar issue?

Not an easy answer, but lots of things you may need to check at the top & bottom (the attachment) of this thread:

Not an easy answer, but lots of things you may need to check at the top & bottom (the attachment) of this thread:
Thanks Phil, it's driving me mad given that I can connect via 4G but not via a remote router.

DNS settings are 8.8.8.8 / 1.1.1.1
static IP of the DVR
port forwarding set up
DDNS configured (again can connect via 4G but not otherwise)
Hikconnect works

Its very odd. I kind of think it must be the Draytec but why would it let 4G through?

Thanks Phil, it's driving me mad given that I can connect via 4G but not via a remote router.

DNS settings are 8.8.8.8 / 1.1.1.1
static IP of the DVR
port forwarding set up
DDNS configured (again can connect via 4G but not otherwise)
Hikconnect works

Its very odd. I kind of think it must be the Draytec but why would it let 4G through?
Just tried logging on via DDNS via a router on a laptop which has never connected to the DVR before and it works! So, somewhere something is holding onto a memory of the previous connection. Unsure now as to whether its the laptop or the DVR?

@Sp0ngeBob what model is the Draytek router and what connection does not work?
Unsure of model as I have no access to it as its run by an IT company. If I type in the DDNS address on my laptop which is connected to my router (remote from site) gives no connection. If i then hotspot my phone and connect the same laptop to it then I can connect via DDNS - which makes me think now that the issue may be related to any router that connected to the old router at the DVR end not recognising the new router? ?

Unsure of model as I have no access to it as its run by an IT company. If I type in the DDNS address on my laptop which is connected to my router (remote from site) gives no connection. If i then hotspot my phone and connect the same laptop to it then I can connect via DDNS - which makes me think now that the issue may be related to any router that connected to the old router at the DVR end not recognising the new router? ?
On your laptop flush the browser cache or try another browser.

On your laptop flush the browser cache or try another browser.
Yes, done that. Even downloaded Vivaldi browser. No joy.

Can a router prevent a device from connecting to a destination it previously did because the destination is 'seen' as altered? (Meaning the local router sees the mac address of the laptop trying to connect to the distant router and stops it because its altered?)

If I type in the DDNS address gets as far as xxxxx.ddns.net:xxxx/doc/page/login.asp

Debating whether to try fitting a new router here to see if that theory is correct.

If I type in the DDNS address gets as far as xxxxx.ddns.net:xxxx/doc/page/login.asp
I assume this is via your laptop / router, this indicates the connection is established, is there a port conflict?

As your laptop / iPhone works the Draytek router is accepting connections. Have you tried restarting your router?

Can a router prevent a device from connecting to a destination it previously did because the destination is 'seen' as altered? (Meaning the local router sees the mac address of the laptop trying to connect to the distant router and stops it because its altered?)
I'm not sure I understood your question. Routes across the internet vary all the time so connections always change, MAC addresses can be spoofed. If you want to control clients connecting to a router a VPN connection is needed.

I assume this is via your laptop / router, this indicates the connection is established, is there a port conflict?

As your laptop / iPhone works the Draytek router is accepting connections. Have you tried restarting your router?

I'm not sure I understood your question. Routes across the internet vary all the time so connections always change, MAC addresses can be spoofed. If you want to control clients connecting to a router a VPN connection is needed.
It doesn't matter which device - laptop or phone - if either is connected to the router then it wont connect. Switch either to 4G connection - connection made.

Yes, tried restarting router. Set up another router also - no joy.

I probably didnt explain it very well. Remote connection via router was fine pre new router being fitted at dvr end. So what I meant was a laptop which did connect previously via a remote router DID connect to the dvr but post router change that connection doesnt work despite no settings being altered on the dvr.

Re my comment earlier, a brand new laptop running Windows Edge does connect remotely, several other machines (not previously connected to the dvr) do not connect.

I'm not onsite but the IT guy assures me all the ports that were on the previous router are open on this new one. Just to clarify, ports 80, 8000, 443 and 554 are open.

@Sp0ngeBob
from your location (LocalRouter to DraytekRouter) can you access the DVR via RTSP using the remote URL? for my NVR (7608) the RTSP URL is rtsp://userid:password@name.ddns.com:nnnn/Streaming/channels/102.

Try the same RTSP test Local4G to DraytekRouter.

Is your clients Draytek router connected to a phone line as in VDSL connection?

Does the Draytek router have a 4G (failover) WAN connection?

@Sp0ngeBob
from your location (LocalRouter to DraytekRouter) can you access the DVR via RTSP using the remote URL? for my NVR (7608) the RTSP URL is rtsp://userid:password@name.ddns.com:nnnn/Streaming/channels/102.

Try the same RTSP test Local4G to DraytekRouter.

Is your clients Draytek router connected to a phone line as in VDSL connection?

Does the Draytek router have a 4G (failover) WAN connection?

That works, I can connect via my laptop (attached to local router) via VLC player using rtsp://admin:password@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/streaming/channels/101

If I connect via my laptop using 4G connection I can also see the stream.

I believe the internet supply to my client is via satellite

Re 4G failover, no, not as far as I know.

rtsp://admin:password@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/streaming/channels/101
so we know basic connectivity is there, and there seems to be a protocol problem.
If the red x's is the public IP try the DDNS URL.

If this is a satellite link WAN connection the sat provider may need to know the Draytek router WAN MAC address to apply specific policies for bandwidth limitations etc.

so we know basic connectivity is there, and there seems to be a protocol problem.
If the red x's is the public IP try the DDNS URL.

If this is a satellite link WAN connection the sat provider may need to know the Draytek router WAN MAC address to apply specific policies for bandwidth limitations etc.

Trying with the DDNS address in place of the public IP also works

Re sat link - how would this be different from a 4G connection coming in externally?

Really appreciate your assistance with this David

Re sat link - how would this be different from a 4G connection coming in externally?
Satellite links have high latency (200 - 500mS) and 4G networks tolerate latency but your router WAN does not. I suspect the Draytek router WAN interface has not been configured for a satellite link.
The sat WAN bandwidth may be asymmetric and the Draytek router needs to know this and allow for sat link latency.

Satellite links have high latency (200 - 500mS) and 4G networks tolerate latency but your router WAN does not. I suspect the Draytek router WAN interface has not been configured for a satellite link.
The sat WAN bandwidth may be asymmetric and the Draytek router needs to know this and allow for sat link latency.

Thank you for your help David, it was the settings on the Draytek router which was the issue, I spoke to the clients IT guy who was about as much use as a chocolate teapot but he couldn't or wouldn't elaborate on what the cause was. I asked the client to plug in his old router and low and behold remote access was restored!

Much appreciated for you input on this. One for the memory bank for sure!

Thank you for your help David, it was the settings on the Draytek router which was the issue, I spoke to the clients IT guy who was about as much use as a chocolate teapot but he couldn't or wouldn't elaborate on what the cause was. I asked the client to plug in his old router and low and behold remote access was restored!

Much appreciated for you input on this. One for the memory bank for sure!
at least its working now, did they fix the Draytek router or just revert. back to the old router?

The Draytek is back in situ.

The IT chap I spoke to - who previously categorically told me that it wasn't their router that was the problem - told me that his colleague had 'altered' some settings and were in touch with the sat link suppliers but that was all he would say. So you were on the right lines when you said that the router hadn't been set up correctly.

The Draytek is back in situ.

The IT chap I spoke to - who previously categorically told me that it wasn't their router that was the problem - told me that his colleague had 'altered' some settings and were in touch with the sat link suppliers but that was all he would say. So you were on the right lines when you said that the router hadn't been set up correctly.
good to hear, hopefully the IT guy has learnt something.

Back