01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

ColorVu cameras blinding each other

gilders

I have 2 ColorVu cameras with the LED light set at 50% max. The LEDs are still very bright looking.
I am looking at purchasing 2 more ColorVu cameras, but these 2 will be facing each other (not 100% face to face, but close).
Are the LEDs likely to interfere with each cameras picture, i.e. blind each other?

You may be able to adjust the exposure to compensate. Use-ip offer a 14 day try before you buy.

Just keep the light sources out of each others' field of view and you should be OK.

Thanks for the replies.
Would cameras that use infra red instead of LEDs avoid this issue?

Hi @gilders

The effect would be the same with the IR cameras because during the day IP cameras are sensitive to visible light and at night after IR cut filter has switched the sensor is then sensitive to the invisible infrared (IR) light spectrum. As @Phil says above it is always advised to not have the lights of another camera visible in the cameras FoV because no matter the settings you adjust it will reduce the cameras low-light/IR performance. (usually making the rest of the scene appear much darker)

Hi @gilders

If you were to use two IR cameras then you would need to do the same thing, or at least mounted at different heights and not pointing their IR LEDs directly at each other, as both would be set to only take in IR light.

On both the ColorVu and IR models, you will usually have to option of using both HLC and WDR in the image settings, which will help to reduce any overexposure caused by strong direct light sources. However, your safest bet is to keep the LED's out of each camera's view.

'Snap' - they are younger and faster than me, and both are correct!

I would just add that the advice about keeping light sources out of the scene applies equally to all light sources. If, for instance, your view includes the head of a street lamp (such that you can see the light source) it has a dramatic negative effect on the overall picture quality - effectively the camera has to squint because there is a bright light within the scene.

This applies to any light sources in your scene:
Street lamps
Coach lamps
Lights at a site entrance
Lights by the front door
Garden floodlights
Lights on your shed or summer house
etc.

Wherever possible, move or adjust the field of view to keep light sources out of the scene.

I have 2 off 4mm ColorVu cameras set up at opposite sides of my double garage (approx 5metres apart) and use the built in LEDs during the night when the Council turn off the street lights. They are positioned so that they are only just in each other’s field of view and I have no issues at that distance. I have them set at a brightness of 35%.
Attached are a couple of screen grabs.

Attachments

• E4AFD6B2-4A5A-4771-87E1-D4D28E880B5A.jpeg
    E4AFD6B2-4A5A-4771-87E1-D4D28E880B5A.jpeg
    962.5 KB · Views: 385
  • 40523127-80D1-4591-B32D-379C1FA218DD.jpeg
    40523127-80D1-4591-B32D-379C1FA218DD.jpeg
    816.9 KB · Views: 336
@IED thanks for taking the time to post the screen grabs, it's a big help. From what I can see, the light doesn't affect the image, except for what is directly behind the camera. For example, on the second picture you have a paved path that I presume goes down the side of your garage. If this path didn't head in that direction but went in the direction that would mean the shrubs were paved over, then the light would obscure that path. Unfortunately, my path would be in this area.

I think my only option is to have one camera directly above the other and have them pointing in opposite directions.
Thanks again.

Reactions: IED
@gilders Yes I agree: Luckily for me I don’t care about the path behind the camera as it is covered by another camera down the side and the grassy area is also covered by another closer camera.

I doubt you'll have any issues. The cameras may be opposite to one another but they are always angled downward to some extent - not horizontal and never directly at one another (otherwise your image would be 50 percent wall!). While the light from the other camera will be visible it's unlikely to negatively impact the image. I have a pair of cameras out the back of mine looking toward one another and mounted at just 6 feet above ground level. In that respect the viewing angles are raised and while the light from the other camera is visible it helps rather than hinders the images as each camera illuminates the others blindspot.

Back