01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Confused about 48v from NVR but camera uses 12v to setup

Andy.A

I have a Hikvision NVR that outputs 48 volts through POE. When I first setup the camera I used a 12v PSU to power the camera to initially setup the camera in my living room.

It’s an ANKKE 8mp camera and I need to connect the camera back through my router and not the NVR. I don't want to run a 12v supply back to the camera through the 12v socket.

Is the way to power it up through the Cat6 cable from my living room and I also need to gain access to my camera through my standard router?

How would I achieve this and what would I need to buy?

Do I need to use 48 volts or do I use 12 volts?

Thanks for any advice.

The 48 volts is standard for Power Over Ethernet (POE).
If they used just 12 volts the cable length that you could use with POE would be quite limited.
With 48 volts (the spec is actually 35-57 volts) you can use power over an ethernet cable to a nominal maximum length of 100m.
When that higher voltage arrives at the camera's ethernet connector the camera's internal electronics reduce it to the voltage that the camera needs e.g. 5 or 12 volts.
You just need a POE injector.
If you are planning to add multiple cameras you may wish to purchase a POE switch.

The 48 volts is standard for Power Over Ethernet (POE).
If they used just 12 volts the cable length that you could use with POE would be quite limited.
With 48 volts (the spec is actually 35-57 volts) you can use power over an ethernet cable to a nominal maximum length of 100m.
When that higher voltage arrives at the camera's ethernet connector the camera's internal electronics reduce it to the voltage that the camera needs e.g. 5 or 12 volts.
You just need a POE injector.
If you are planning to add multiple cameras you may wish to purchase a POE switch.

Thank you for explaining. It all makes sense now.

Back